waldowaldo

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2003
29
0
Visit site
Status
hey everyone,

i had a question regarding when to take step 2.. i know i know..if you did good on step 1 take step 2 late and if you did poorly on step 1 take step 2 early...here is my predicament...i did good on step 1, so I should take step 2 late, but i want to get step 2 out of the way early so it's one less thing hanging over my head...

after you take step 2 are the scores automatically released to the schools...basically what i am asking is, is it possible to take step 2 but not have your score released until later on? will the schools know when i took step 2 even if i haven't released my scores? thanks very much for your advice.


waldo
 

Hercules

Son of Zeus
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2000
1,294
282
40
Mobile, AL
Status
Attending Physician
waldowaldo said:
hey everyone,

i had a question regarding when to take step 2.. i know i know..if you did good on step 1 take step 2 late and if you did poorly on step 1 take step 2 early...here is my predicament...i did good on step 1, so I should take step 2 late, but i want to get step 2 out of the way early so it's one less thing hanging over my head...

after you take step 2 are the scores automatically released to the schools...basically what i am asking is, is it possible to take step 2 but not have your score released until later on? will the schools know when i took step 2 even if i haven't released my scores? thanks very much for your advice.
Yes, it is possible to take Step 2 and not release your scores. As someone who put step 2 off until last Friday, I can tell you that I never felt like it was hanging over my head. I knew it would be essentially P/F since I had waited so long to take it, and that pretty much took almost all of the pressure off. If I had it to do over, I would wait until late February again. If you did well on Step 1, you have nothing to gain and much to lose by taking Step 2 early.

Of course, this is all irrelevant if your specialty likes to see Step 2 scores before making their rank lists. I can tell you that EM programs don't need to see your Step 2 score if Step 1 went well.
 
OP
W

waldowaldo

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2003
29
0
Visit site
Status
thanks for your advice hercules..i think i will take your advice and put off step 2 until later...

i wasn't aware that some specialties like to see step 2 scores before making their rank list...does anyone know if anesthesiology programs prefer to have step 2 scores? thanks again.

waldo
 

dr. neek

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2003
42
0
Visit site
Status
Ok, so I think I'm in the same predicament. I scored in the 240s on step 1. I am an IMG from Israel and I want to match in ENT. Do I take step 2 early and risk a lower score, do I withhold my score, or do I take it as late as possible, which for me is before the match because step 2 is required for ECFMG certification. I'm realy not sure if ENT programs require step 2 or not? Anyone with any advice, pray tell!!!

Thanks!
 

Hercules

Son of Zeus
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2000
1,294
282
40
Mobile, AL
Status
Attending Physician
waldowaldo said:
thanks for your advice hercules..i think i will take your advice and put off step 2 until later...

i wasn't aware that some specialties like to see step 2 scores before making their rank list...does anyone know if anesthesiology programs prefer to have step 2 scores? thanks again.

waldo
I would ask on the Anesthesiology board.
 

dr. neek

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2003
42
0
Visit site
Status
dr. neek said:
Ok, so I think I'm in the same predicament. I scored in the 240s on step 1. I am an IMG from Israel and I want to match in ENT. Do I take step 2 early and risk a lower score, do I withhold my score, or do I take it as late as possible, which for me is before the match because step 2 is required for ECFMG certification. I'm realy not sure if ENT programs require step 2 or not? Anyone with any advice, pray tell!!!

Thanks!
bump...
 

shorrin

the ninth doctor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2001
406
2
the tardis
www.bbc.co.uk
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you take step after sept 1st you can check a box to release scores at a later date.

If you take step 2 before sept1 it will auto get released with ERAS.
 

dr. neek

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2003
42
0
Visit site
Status
shorrin said:
If you take step after sept 1st you can check a box to release scores at a later date.

If you take step 2 before sept1 it will auto get released with ERAS.


Hey thanks for responding...why is Sept. 1st the day that was chosen? Can't one sign up for ERAS before then, and then choose the option to send transcript as is at that particular point in time?