-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Step 2 Score Release
Started by jhIII
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Automatic release-
Pros: You don't have do anything more to your application. Cons: If you bomb, everyone knows. No givesies backsies.
Release at your discretion-
Pros: If you bomb, you get to hold off on release until after rank lists are made, potentially saving yourself huge stress and grief. Cons: You have to remember to press a button in the future.
You'll probably be fine no matter what, but holding off on releasing gives you options. In the wacky games of life and doctoring, options are your friend.
Pros: You don't have do anything more to your application. Cons: If you bomb, everyone knows. No givesies backsies.
Release at your discretion-
Pros: If you bomb, you get to hold off on release until after rank lists are made, potentially saving yourself huge stress and grief. Cons: You have to remember to press a button in the future.
You'll probably be fine no matter what, but holding off on releasing gives you options. In the wacky games of life and doctoring, options are your friend.
i also took step 2 late.
did pretty well on step 1 (mid 220s, don't remember exactly)
only thing is the program directors kept asking, "are you SURE you didn't take step 2 already?" i hadn't taken it yet but it makes them suspicious. it's not that bad- way easier than step 1. just take it.
did pretty well on step 1 (mid 220s, don't remember exactly)
only thing is the program directors kept asking, "are you SURE you didn't take step 2 already?" i hadn't taken it yet but it makes them suspicious. it's not that bad- way easier than step 1. just take it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The advisment dean at my med school told us NOT to release our scores automatically. I was never asked about when I took or planned to take step 2 on my interviews. I have heard a bad story about someone who didn't realize the difference between automatically releasing and not releasing. They chose to automatically release and bombed step 2 and were thoroughly screwed.
If they ask about step 2 and you haven't taken it, just tell them when you plan on taking it.
If they ask about step 2 and you haven't taken it, just tell them when you plan on taking it.
this worst case scenario happened to me. Heard step 2 was much easier, so i elected to release the score👎. Interview invites came to a screeching halt. Thank God for away rotations!
ive already taken my step 2 and to my surprise did very poorly. i got a 190 (78) which was a huge hit to my confidence. i got an 215 (87) on step 1 and am unsure whether to release my score to residencies. I am an FMG which doesnt help at all and am wanting to apply for residencies. ive emailed a bunch of programs, some which are honest and say to not even apply, and others which say go ahead and apply, "we look at the entire candidate application." Am i just wasting my money and time? Should i even bother apply? What do i say if they ask me whether i have taken my step 2 and i have not released my score report?
Bluedrapes, unfortunately, you're in a tough position. As I understand it, this question of releasing vs not releasing is relevant for those who apply (and release their USMLE transcript) prior to taking step 2. In your case, having already taken step 2, programs will come to know of your score as it will be automatically released with your step 1 score (which they will definitely want to see). As such, should you choose to apply, you don't really have the choice of not releasing the step 2 score. Re your question of whether to apply or not, I am not really qualified to answer that. Perhaps some of those who applied last year could chime in?
Automatic release-
Pros: You don't have do anything more to your application. Cons: If you bomb, everyone knows. No givesies backsies.
Release at your discretion-
Pros: If you bomb, you get to hold off on release until after rank lists are made, potentially saving yourself huge stress and grief. Cons: You have to remember to press a button in the future.
You'll probably be fine no matter what, but holding off on releasing gives you options. In the wacky games of life and doctoring, options are your friend.
How does holding off save you stress and grief, say you take it in november, scores (bad) come in end of december, you have to hide it for two months? say you didnt take it yet? say you wont release it? I dont get how this part works...they are going to ask when you plan on taking it, if you say u already took it or already have scores, they will ask for them or why u are not releasing them
i feel like the only way to really neutralize step 2 is to not take it until january
If you did worse, you don't send the scores to the programs. If asked about it on interviews, you tell the truth and tell em what you made. That's IF THEY ASK ABOUT IT. If you choose to automatically release then they all see it immediately. If your Step 1 is like a 215, chances are they're not really going to inquire about Step 2 unless you automatically send them your Step 2, and they see you made a 190.