Step 2 Significance

Started by Shishka
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Shishka

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I was hoping someone in the know could shed some light about the significance of improvement in Step 2 over Step 1, specifically for anesthesia programs.

I have an average Step 1 score but an above average Step 2 score. Are programs likely to judge me by my Step 2 score, or is my Step 1 score going to remain a weakness in my application?

I just want to have a better idea of where I stand going into interviews, especially at the more competitive places.
 
Hey guys, I was hoping someone in the know could shed some light about the significance of improvement in Step 2 over Step 1, specifically for anesthesia programs.

I have an average Step 1 score but an above average Step 2 score. Are programs likely to judge me by my Step 2 score, or is my Step 1 score going to remain a weakness in my application?

I just want to have a better idea of where I stand going into interviews, especially at the more competitive places.

I just interveiwed at a program that was pretty dead-set on receiving Step II scores from applicants (whom presumably had good Step I scores).

The PD there said that Step II is more relevant to success in residency etc.
I was kind of suprised to hear that given the traditional emphasis on Step I.

I'd say you'll be fine, and I think you may be best served by reporting it, assuming you've recently gotten your score back.

cf
 
That's good to hear. I just released my Step 2 score this past Wednesday. 16 point increase. Been in a bit of an interview invite freeze since mid-October. Hopefully this will get me at least one or two more. And maybe a few more prelim invites, too. Honestly, I think prelim worries me more than anesthesiology right now, go figure.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It helped me a lot, but this was a few years ago. Improving your score can only help.

Hey guys, I was hoping someone in the know could shed some light about the significance of improvement in Step 2 over Step 1, specifically for anesthesia programs.

I have an average Step 1 score but an above average Step 2 score. Are programs likely to judge me by my Step 2 score, or is my Step 1 score going to remain a weakness in my application?

I just want to have a better idea of where I stand going into interviews, especially at the more competitive places.
 
I can pretty safely say that having a much higher (>40 points) Step 2 has helped me. Several classmates have had identical Step 1 scores (220s) and applied to the same programs and are getting less than half of the interviews that I have.
 
Thanks for the input. I did just get the score this past week and released it. It was a big relief. Is it safe to assume programs will update my app with the score, or should I also email them about it?

And yea, the prelim situation is really worrisome.
 
I can pretty safely say that having a much higher (>40 points) Step 2 has helped me. Several classmates have had identical Step 1 scores (220s) and applied to the same programs and are getting less than half of the interviews that I have.

With an improvement >40 pts from 220s I can't say it surprises me that it makes a big difference. I'm wondering about more modest, but still solid, improvements.
 
With an improvement >40 pts from 220s I can't say it surprises me that it makes a big difference. I'm wondering about more modest, but still solid, improvements.

I had a 30 pt. Increase and im pretty sure it's helped a lot... Nobody at Interviews has commented on my average step 1, but they have mentioned my step 2...
 
I can pretty safely say that having a much higher (>40 points) Step 2 has helped me. Several classmates have had identical Step 1 scores (220s) and applied to the same programs and are getting less than half of the interviews that I have.

I'd definitely say so. From the interview thread it looks like you have ~35+ interview invites. Congrats, that's impressive.