1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

step 2 - step 1 score discrepancy

Discussion in 'Step II' started by beansprouts1, Jul 27, 2011.

1. beansprouts1

Medical Student
    Hey guys, just got my step 2's back. Got a lower score on step 2s than step 1, 14 pt difference. I had a good score on step 1, now I'm afraid that my step2's will ruin that. Anyone hear anything about how residency programs look at lower step 2 scores?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OveractiveBrain

Removed 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Things that matter:
    1. What are the scores
    2. What are you going into

Since I assume you are anonymous on this thread, throw out the scores. IF you got a 274 on Step 1, and now a 260 on Step 2, obviously that doesn't matter. If you got a 220 on Step 1, and a 206 on Step 2, that might hurt you.

But if you are going into Family Medicine or Psych, it probably has no impact. You showed middle-of-the-road Step 1, and you passed Step 2. If you wanted to do Hopkins Osler IM, then maybe it matters (like 236 and 222), but most medicine programs will just look at whichever one is higher. Now, I say "most" because 4/4 program directors I've spoken to have told me that, but "4" is not "most."

Overall, don't worry too much. Step 2 doesn't break an application, but it can make up for a crap Step 1 in some cases.