Step 2 studying before rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMC123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided to take some time off between MSII and MSIII. In this time, I plan on really going hard on step 1, and following with some research/shadowing in the field I want to go into.

With this extra time off (I didn't want to take a year off), I figure I might as well study for the step 2 too and get a head start. My question was how helpful are rotations to mastering step 2 information?? Is it really clinical based where you pick up stuff from the hospital, or is most of the the information in the book where you understand the book/qbanks you'll do decent on the step??

I was debating this because with so much time off, maybe I should consider even taking the step 2 before I start rotations and just get it out of the way. Let me know what you think, thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

There's a lot of clinical reasoning on Step 2. There will be a lot of questions that seem vague if you haven't spent a lot of time involved in the clinical decision-making process, but the answer becomes obvious if you've done a rotation in that field.

On the other hand, I don't think there's anything that absolutely requires firsthand experience. If you go through all of the Kaplan lectures and you have a good foundation from Step 1, you could probably get a solid score on Step 2ck without ever having set foot inside a hospital.

I think it's a good idea to "get a head start" on Step 2 studying - a lot of the content is actually pretty straightforward, especially if you just took Step 1 - but I wouldn't actually take the test until going through 3rd year. If you can get through some combination of either the Kaplan videos or Master the Boards for 2CK (the choice would depend on how much time you have) before starting 3rd year, you'll actually learn more from your clinical rotations and you'll be more prepared for Step 2 when the time comes.

So I think the bottom line is that you can get a good score if you just spend a lot of time with the books, but you'd probably get a better score if you combine the books with real experience. In other words, go through the books now, then go through 3rd year, then spend a couple of weeks reviewing the books (or go through a HY review course like DIT or the new Kaplan HY), and I'm sure you'll knock the test out of the park.

Step 2 is very clinical.... Instead of trying to cram it all in, try and master each rotation you're on and THEN take it. You have an entire year to study for step 2 by studying for each rotation.

My only thing is I have from January to July to do nothing but study for step two unless I can find research. I feel like that's ample amount of time to learn everything for step two. Unless the clinical experience really helps that much

Sent from my SGH-T959 using SDN Mobile

I think you're right that you can learn all of the material, but I wouldn't take the test until after your clinicals... the rotations will help you consolidate the material and improve your test score.