Step 2 studying during PhD years...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liteorange

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just beginning graduate school.. I took step 1 in June and did less than stellar and wanted to make sure I did AMAZING on step 2 by studying while completing my PhD research. Any suggestions on books or programs to consider since I have ample time?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recommend it! I used phd years to also review clinical material. I got together with another md/phd or 2 each week and reviewed a chapter or 2 depending on our schedules. We made it through step up 2 medicine, Essentials of Cecils and lots of questions. I think it helped us out a lot. Not only to get ahead studying, but also to retain the clinical info that you already know.
I also recommend going ahead and purchasing the UWORLD (or your choice of questions for practice) at the beginning of your return to clinics- so you can work them throughout the year. You could even get them now, but that would get really expensive.
GOOD LUCK!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This seems odd to me. It's like putting the cart before the horse. Kind of like studying for step 1 before you start med school.
Yeah, I agree. Unless you've taken your core clinical rotations before your PhD (which people might do at schools with abbreviated preclinical curriculums like Penn, I guess?), it makes no sense to try to review things you never learned in the first place.

OP, the best way to prepare for Step 2 is to do well during third year, both on the wards and on your rotation exams. For CK, if your school uses shelf exams, make sure you study for them and treat them as if they were mini-CK exams, because they kind of are. Also, you might want to get yourself a question bank and/or question book to use during rotations. A lot of people like Pretest. For CS, make sure you get a review book that explains the "rules" for how to take the exam. I think American seniors who run into trouble on that test are people who assume they can just do whatever they do for real in clinic. But the problem is that the judges are looking for you to do and say very specific things that you will be docked for if you don't do and say them. It's easy to get these points if you know what they're looking for, so make sure that learn the rules.

Don't do it. It's pointless. It's a better use of your time to work hard on your PhD and focus on your research.

Perhaps in the last 6-12 months before going back, start reading over some basic med student guide books.

Don't sweat it. What is done is done. I know many MD/PhD students who don't do well on Step 1... go figure since we are supposed to be good at the "basic sciences"... My theory is we are over analytical people and taking a test that has multiple "correct" answers we can talk ourselves into or out of the right answer. I did less than stellar and rebounded with a score in the 250s. I bought crush step 2 before going back to med school and read it before going back. Not to improve my step 2 score but just to remind me about medicine. Going back into 3rd year of med school is very hard, it is an entirely different mentality. Study hard for shelf exams, do lots of practice questions and take step 2 early (as close to your shelf exams as possible). USMLE world is great and I also agree to buy the 1 year subscription during 3rd year, it will help your step 2 score and shelf exams. Also I really liked USMLE Step 2 Secrets. That being said, spend your PhD years applying for grants, writing manuscripts, and finishing your PhD work in time NOT studying for Step 2. If you want to stay up to date consider tutoring for a little extra money AND the bonus of staying current.