Step 2... studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeeGee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reading "Rx for the Boards" and would like others opinions on whether to just read it a coupla times or read something else after I finish the "Rx" like "First Aid for Step 2". What are you using to study? Also, what question books are you using? Any advice appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm using the Kaplan stuff (I'm taking the video course) and Crush the Boards. When I'm done with those, I'm gonna do Kaplan Q-book and Q-bank. Then... I'll take the plunge... probably sometime in late August - mid Sept. When are you gonna take it?

Study for Step II?

HELL NO!

Granted, I took a a nose dive in my score, but I had already landed my residency.

Did I care about my dive?

HELL NO!

I've barely gotten over the trauma of taking Step 1 - but one thing I realized was that First Aid would've been a great review tool for my second-year exams.

So now I am approaching my first rotation shelf exam and wondering, are there Step 2 resources that also serve as good shelf exam reviews during 3d year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rx for the Boards rocks!
Also defninitely look at Advanced Life Support for the USMLE Step 2! It's almost "fun" to read and it will score you at least 15 answers just for looking at it!
Also, I used First Aid II as a nice companion book.

If you have the UCVs they are also not bad.
Don't buy too many books! Share with your buddies!!

Dr. Cuts and others,

Are you studying nonstop for boards between now and the time you take 'em, or are you in the midst of some rotations?

I've got a couple of weeks off this month, so I'm wondering if I should just do all my studying in that time and then take the plunge, or if I should just plug along a little bit each day during electives and take Step 2 sometime in late Sept.

What do you guys think? Cram it all down in a couple of weeks, or study slowly over the span of 2 months?

Originally posted by Hornet871

What do you guys think? Cram it all down in a couple of weeks, or study slowly over the span of 2 months?

Hmmm... well, definitely utilize those few free weeks you have and bust ba**s going over all the material at least 1-2 times. Then, what I'd probably do is, over the course of the next few months, do tons and tons of practice mcqs while carefully going over the annotated answers... even with your concurrent rotations, you could probably do 50/night and even more on off days. I'm sure you'd be more than well prepared come Oct. or so.

Me... I've scheduled a couple cush electives for the next 2 months so I can concentrate on Step 2 studying.

Take care