Step 2 Timing affect Interview Consideration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AA|FCB|DOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been searching on FREIDA for ophthalmology programs and their Step 2 CK requirements. There is not much info on what schools require you to have CK finished before you apply for consideration for an interview. I ask because I did well on step 1 and wanted to work on other aspects of my application before I send it in August and then take step 2 CK in mid to late September if it doesn't affect my ophthalmology application in any negative way. Does anyone have a good source for this information?

Thanks for any input or advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I just matched this last cycle and these are my thoughts on it. I was happy with my Step 1 score so I took my test early November. Out of 12 interview, only one program asked me about my CK score. Other programs didn't even ask when I was planning to take it. However, If you do take it in mid-late September and get your score back, you don't have to report it. You choose whether or not you want programs to see it. The problem is that if a program does ask about it, then you can't really lie and tell them you haven't gotten your score back if you actually have it.

I just matched this last cycle and these are my thoughts on it. I was happy with my Step 1 score so I took my test early November. Out of 12 interview, only one program asked me about my CK score. Other programs didn't even ask when I was planning to take it. However, If you do take it in mid-late September and get your score back, you don't have to report it. You choose whether or not you want programs to see it. The problem is that if a program does ask about it, then you can't really lie and tell them you haven't gotten your score back if you actually have it.

Thanks for the reply eior. That is good to hear. Did you feel like or hear about any schools that may have not even gave you an interview since you did not have the score in already? Did you get an interview from any California schools by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not take Step 2 until October because my Step 1 score was good. I received 40 interviews, including 3 in California. I'm from the midwest. I don't think my lack of Step 2 score affected my application in the slightest.

I did not take Step 2 until October because my Step 1 score was good. I received 40 interviews, including 3 in California. I'm from the midwest. I don't think my lack of Step 2 score affected my application in the slightest.

Thanks for the response. I actually emailed some of the California schools too and I’m getting emails back here and there. Some are clear about it, but USC for example was a bit nebulous. The coordinator said “Step 2 is not required during the application process, but the results should be available prior to interview invites.“ Was USC by any chance one of these schools for you?

Thanks for the response. I actually emailed some of the California schools too and I’m getting emails back here and there. Some are clear about it, but USC for example was a bit nebulous. The coordinator said “Step 2 is not required during the application process, but the results should be available prior to interview invites.“ Was USC by any chance one of these schools for you?
No.

Reactions: 1 user