Step 2 timing after low step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Callmedoc15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I failed step 1 on first attempt and scored 21X on my second attempt. I'm not sure I feel ready to kill step 2 due to family situations that came up and have it scheduled for next month. If I postpone, I'd have to take it sometime October. I'm applying fam med, so will an October test date be all that bad in my case? Can I use the hopefully good score to reach out to my top choices and update them on it?

Members don't see this ad.

So I failed step 1 on first attempt and scored 21X on my second attempt. I'm not sure I feel ready to kill step 2 due to family situations that came up and have it scheduled for next month. If I postpone, I'd have to take it sometime October. I'm applying fam med, so will an October test date be all that bad in my case? Can I use the hopefully good score to reach out to my top choices and update them on it?
October should be OK. Memorize all of the 2CK Clinical Mastery Series (NBME subject-specific) forms, as well as NBMEs 6-11. *Memorize that content.* And you will actually ace 2CK.