Step 2 Timing for Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning on taking CK during the end of October. Is it going to hurt me if I don't have my score on hand during interviews (I probably won't get my score back until after Thanksgiving). My step 1 score is a 230 if that makes any difference.

Members don't see this ad.

You are unlikely to be at a disadvantage for the mere lack of a Step 2 score.
Options are:
Best: Take Step 2 early, have score that is comparable to, or an improvement on an already competitive Step 1 score on hand that goes on your application

Good: Take Step 2 just prior to interviews, although your score may not be available to programs, but be able to say, "I've taken step 2"

obviously not great: Take step 2 early and be unhappy with your score.

Your step 1 score is competitive. I think it should be sufficient to get you into a good Anesthesia program.

My Step 1 score was _ _ _s. That was sufficient.
I just happened to have Step 2 at the time as well (which was also _ _ _s). i don't think it made a huge difference.

Had your step 1 been <<220 with mediocre grades, then perhaps Step 2 (and a stellar performance on that) would be imperative

Last edited:
When are most Anesthesiology interviews? Would you say the majority are in November?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most run from late October to mid January, with peak being around mid-late Nov / early Dec

Do any programs specifically require Step 2 CK before granting interviews? In other words, will taking Step 2 in October prevent me from getting interviews at certain institutions?

Can someone please answer the above question about specific anesthesia programs that require step 2 CK in order to offer an interview?

Can someone please answer the above question about specific anesthesia programs that require step 2 CK in order to offer an interview?

no program does that to my knowledge in the respect that it is a technical necessity to have a score to grant an interview. however i am sure that if they are on the fence about you, having a nice step2 can certainly put you over into the "invite" pile.