Step 2 timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Embarrassed Applicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone who matched! I just went through the most recent application cycle as well and was very happy to match where I wanted. As such, I have now turned my attention to prelim/TY programs. However, I am a little concerned because of my Step 2 (both CS and CK) timing. I was originally scheduled to have both scores reported by the time of the NRMP match, but due to a severe family illness this is no longer the case. It's possible the scores might be out in time, but it is more likely that they won't be. My question is, how worried should I be on a scale from "not concerned at all" to" totally freaking out?" The rest of my application is solid (260s Step 1, AOA, honors in everything) and the interviews went well, but would this make programs feel comfortable enough to rank me w/o Step 2? Is there any value in contacting programs to let them know what the deal is? Any input (especially input that makes me feel better) is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would call or email each of the prelim/TY programs you interviewed at. Only they can give you the answer. Talk to the PC if you don't feel comfortable talking to the PD. If a program tells you they won't rank you without Step 2, you could try explaining your situation to the PD. Sorry to hear about illness in the family. That's always rough. Good luck!

I would do what eye applicant has mentioned to be on the safe side. But I think with your stats you realllllly don't have to worry and definitely don't need to freak out. Life happens, be there with your fam and enjoy your ophtho match results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the advice and the kind words :happy: I really appreciate this forum and all of the support it provides! I actually took CS today and it was.... interesting. Forgot so many stooooooopid things. Hopefully it'll turn out OK. I have to assume it will given a 98% passing rate. Still, I feel pretty dumb for forgetting to do basic things. It's been tough trying to juggle everything. Thanks again!