Step 2 Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pam_Beesley

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was told by my school that lacks an EM residency that I should push step 2 to October/November since I got approximately 250 on step 1. This seems to be different than anything I am reading online.

How does mid-end September sound? Still too late?

Members don't see this ad.

Was told by my school that lacks an EM residency that I should push step 2 to October/November since I got approximately 250 on step 1. This seems to be different than anything I am reading online.

Most places won't care. Some places won't give you interviews. Off the top of my head, pretty sure GW and Albany want a step 2 score before they interview you. I didn't take mine til November, still did fine. Dunno if I would've done better if I had taken step 2 earlier though!

Reactions: 1 user

In your case, it's fine to push back your Step 2 CK to a later date. In general programs do not have a hard requirement for Step 2 CK for offering interviews (a couple might, but that would be the very rare exception). I usually advise students who did well on Step 1 to take it when it is convenient for them. For students who did poorly on Step 1 and reasonably think they can improve their Step 2 CK then it is definitely worthwhile to take it early. September, October, or November... all fine for you to take your Step 2 CK.

Reactions: 1 user
In your case, it's fine to push back your Step 2 CK to a later date. In general programs do not have a hard requirement for Step 2 CK for offering interviews (a couple might, but that would be the very rare exception). I usually advise students who did well on Step 1 to take it when it is convenient for them. For students who did poorly on Step 1 and reasonably think they can improve their Step 2 CK then it is definitely worthwhile to take it early. September, October, or November... all fine for you to take your Step 2 CK.

Thanks so much! This way I would be able to take four weeks to study for it (if I feel like I need it at the time). I have aways for July and August set up, so I don’t really know how I could squeeze it earlier. I’m also thrilled with the two programs I am set up with for aways and think rocking those is more important at this point.