step 2: usmleworld v kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiffin25

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I know that this question has been asked, but just another quick question:

for all who have taken step 2 CK AND received their scores... do you think USMLEworld is better or is Kaplan better?

look forward to responses. thanks for the help. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

tiffin25 said:
no takers?

I did Kaplan Q-bank --initially, started getting panicked as I ran out of questions - so then I bought USMLEworld -- I haven't gotten my scores on step 2 yet, but I did very very well on Step 1 and felt that I did well on step 1...but here is my take.

KAPLAN IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE test -- I felt very well prepared for the test after hard work in third year, reviewing First Aid, and doing Kaplan questions. The questions on the actual test are similar in format and content to Kaplan questions and I disagree with the many people who say that the test is harder than Kaplan.

I found USMLE Worlds questions to be convoluted -- the questions were wordy and many of them clearly written by individuals who speak English as a second language. Editing of questions was poor. The topics addressed by USMLE world were similar to the test -- but the actual questions were way to nit-picky small potatoes...and didn't actually test the broader more important topics...

My 2 cents --

carol ann, I agree with you about the vocab/grammar usage on usmleworld. They need to hire an editor to correct the many errors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took step 2 in august and have my scores back so I feel I can contribute to this message. I looked at the reviews on this website for both Kaplan and USMLEworld before taking the exam and initally chose USMLEworld due to some of the reviews and its cost. I was amazed while taking the first couple of exams at how detailed and picky the questions were. I was getting discouraged with each exam. I felt like many of the questions were so picky that it would take me months to study for step 2 if was required to know that much detail. I decided to check Kaplan out and I was familiar with them from step 1. It killed me to drop more cash after having payed for USMLEworld. Kaplan was true to form. Much more level appropriate questions. For almost every question you could find the answer in one of the popular step 2 review books (B&W, Secrets, Kaplan, etc.). At that point I made the executive decision to only do kapaln questions and forget about USMLEworld. I was nervous b/c I didn't know whether I was just taking the easier route by doing Kaplan, but every time I completed a USMLEworld test I was so discouraged. Anyway, I completed all the Kaplan questions and then re-took all the question I missed until I got them all correct. Going into the test I was confident but a little nervous hoping that the questions weren't like USMLEworld that I abandoned. Walking out of the test I felt Kaplan was dead on. The level of difficulty was equal to Kaplan questions and USMLE tested the same concepts. Trust Kaplan. I am so glad I didn't waste my time trying to plug through USMLEworld. You are not required to know that much detail. My scores on step 2 support this advice. My advice is obviously go with Kaplan and do ALL the questions and then repeat the ones you missed until you get them correct. But also do it in reasonable proximity to the test (ie within 3-4 weeks leading up to the test). i wish I could get my USMLEworld money back.

I seem to be echoing everyones remarks, but I feel just like Oxford after completing a block of USMLEworld. I still have a few weeks before my exam and am seriously contemplating trying kaplan. I also feel apprehensive abandoning usmleworld and all the hype it has received on several websites. But I also feel the questions are way too picky, for example I have gone through Blueprints for ob/gyn and yet am getting killed by the usmleworld obgyn questions. It's terrible for ones confidence.