Step 2 vs. Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess the consensus is that Step 1 is more important than Step 2. But how important exactly is Step 2?

I've heard everything from "No one cares about Step 2" from a Neurology resident, to a girl telling me that her cousin with a mediocre Step 1 score went into Dermatology after rocking Step 2.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
Everyone has an anecdotal story about someone matching competitively with a poor USMLE Step I score or not matching with a great USMLE Step I score.

Most residency programs use USMLE Step I within the context of the rest of your application (grades/class rank) and the applications of others to evaluate where they will rank you or even if they will interview you. That being said, if you did very poorly on USMLE Step I, taking USMLE Step II early and doing extremely well can only help your application. After all, the programs will have two scores to evaluate instead of one.

If you aced USMLE Step I, then taking Step II is not as crucial.

njbmd :)

What about Fellowships? Do they care about Step 2? Step 3? Or are they still looking at Step 1's from 5 years ago?

I have a 218 so I'm in the safe boat as far as Internal Medicine goes. I've been wondering though if it's worth my while to use one of my 4th year vacation months to study for Step 2 so that I can rock it, or if I should just take it after a month or two of studying on the job and settle for an average score.

Llenroc said:
What about Fellowships? Do they care about Step 2? Step 3? Or are they still looking at Step 1's from 5 years ago?

I have a 218 so I'm in the safe boat as far as Internal Medicine goes. I've been wondering though if it's worth my while to use one of my 4th year vacation months to study for Step 2 so that I can rock it, or if I should just take it after a month or two of studying on the job and settle for an average score.

Hi there,
Most fellowships are interested in your in-service exam scores not your USMLE step scores.

njbmd :)

Llenroc said:

Would a score of 210 be enough for Internal Med in a Los Angeles IM program that's average? I just want to do outpatient General IM after residency.

Should I take Step 2 early anyway? Any thoughts?