Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpeeee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently a 3rd year US IMG student, who has found a new interest in anesthesiology. My step 1 score is 225/91 and will finish my cores at the end of June. I will participate in the 2005 match. Is my score good enough to get me through the door to an interview and when should I take Step 2 (this summer or late fall??). I am afraid that if I take it too early I could shoot myself in the foot. Please help me with your opinions and are there programs that require step 2 before applying?? I am mainly interested in programs in the south and southeast. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

That score is enough to get your foot in the door. Not sure how it works for US IMGS and the stringency of viewing USMLE scores however. I completely understand the whole shooting yourself in the foot thing, as I am holding off taking the step 2 till the end of February this year.

The only thing I can say is that if you pass and do well on step 2 it is only going to help you. It is a risk indeed, but I'm sure you are no stranger to uphill battles (neither am I) and weighing risk versus benefit. All I can say is do whatever you can to make yourself as competitive as possible.

I know I didn't help you at all....calling a few programs is the best thing you can do. Most of the secretaries will probably tell you the same thing I just did.

Congrats on the good Step 1. However, as an IMG you are at a great disadvantage going for anesthesia in these competitive times.
You should take step 2 soon enough that your scores are going out with your application (by Sept 1, 2004).
Also you should take and pass the CSA by that time or not much later.

Program directors know that there are hurdles to jump to get your ECFMG certification and if you show that you have already jumped over them, it will make you a much more competitive applicant.

Getting your ECFMG certificate is also helpful if possible but that is hard to do because you have to graduate.

Also look into surgery prelims instead of medicine or transitional years as they are easier to get.

Just some advice from a USIMG going through the process now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a U.S. IMG who got a 223 on Step 1 and a 228 on Step 2. I received 15 Anesthesiology invitations from all over the place. I also got a lot of TY interviews.
I did not apply for prelim med or surg. I can scramble into them if necessary.
Unless you bomb Step 2 don't apply for surgery prelim (unless you love the work).
Take Step 2 in September. That way you will have plenty of time to study, your scores will be ready for interviews, and you can just chill for the interview season.

you'll be ok. try and rotate at your top choices. DO NOT date the program director's daughter!