Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yooper2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering radiology and I have a step I score of 239. I recently spoke with a residency coordinator at an academic program and she advised me to take step II to get my scores in with my application. Any advice on this? I thought my step I might be good enough, but do I need to try to improve with step II to be competitive at a top tier program? I am nominated for Jr. AOA, have some extracurriculars, and limited research experience. I will graduate from a state school.

Members don't see this ad.

The step 1 isn't very distinguishing as the mean for matched applicants is 232. I think in the context of being COMPETITIVE in the top tier, your advisor may have suggested you to take step 2 as your step 1 is definitely not remarkable for top-tier.

So maybe if you were aiming for the big places, a very impressive step 2 score might be necessary? That's probably what your advisor was thinking? I know its confusing as at 239 is very good for radiology in general.

You don't have a weak step one, you have a slightly above average step 1 for radiology. Consider taking the test after you submit your ERAS app so you can control the release of the score and work on other aspects of your application, like research in rads and/or great LoRs. As for top tier, few if any really have any control over exactly where they go, so focus more on having a wide choice of places you like that you interviewed at.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in almost the same boat as you. My step I is nearly identical.

How have you done on the shelfs? If you've actually been learning and retaining during your third year, you should do much better on step II. If you are unsure, put out the $45 and take an NBME self-assessment exam. This will give you a good idea where you stand. I took one a few weeks before finishing 3rd year and was shocked to see it predicted a 256. Our school also gave a similar exam from the NBME in written format in which I did really well. With that vote of confidence I took step II just over a week after finishing 3rd year; and my score went up by 22 points.

Did it make much of a difference? I don't know. I thought my step I would be good enough to at least meet minimum benchmarks for most competitive programs. So I hoped an excellent step II would be the icing on the cake to get those interviews. In the end I still got the shaft from a lot of programs; some unexpected, some understandable. Getting interviews can be a crap shoot. I honestly feel that step I is much more important, and that your med school's reputation plays a significant role as well.

I've been doing really well on the shelf exams. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try to take the practice exam and see how I do. Did you end up matching into radiology? How many places did you apply to?

The program director at a very highly regarded residency program (top 3 in most peoples lists) suggested advised to not take step II early if you scored above 230 on step I.

Be careful with the NBME practice tests. I think they are usually pretty accurate, but for me, it predicted I would get a 256, and I ended up getting a 240.

The program director at a very highly regarded residency program (top 3 in most peoples lists) suggested advised to not take step II early if you scored above 230 on step I.

Be careful with the NBME practice tests. I think they are usually pretty accurate, but for me, it predicted I would get a 256, and I ended up getting a 240.

Did you do anything different on the actual test day? Maybe you were more fatigued as the actual test is twice as long. I'm a big fan of the NMBE practice tests. I took one for Step 1 and three for Step 2 and they predicted my score within 2-6 points.

Yeah, matched in rads.

Don't know about that suggestion to not take step 2 early if your score is >230. Firstly, you'd have a hard time to even be looked at by a top program if your score is <240. Generally I think step II is easier for a prepared student. If you feel ready and know your stuff, I'd suggest taking it if your step I is less than 245-250.

Didn't take NBME for step I. Took NBME form 2 about 4 weeks before step II (still in clinicals). Studied for 1 week, and got 6 points better than NBME had predicted.

Well, certainly, if you are going to do markedly better on step 2, why not take early if you don't have to try that hard and you're sure it will be better. But, the fact is that even with a step 2 in the stratosphere, top programs will often not consider it, because most of their applicants will have not taken step 2 and will have very high step 1s. So, a jump from say 239 to 260 would be marginally helpful and would probably take away time from improving other areas that would make you a more competitive applicant, such as doing quality research, which top programs love, and getting strong letters from people in the field who are recognized and who know you. 239 is enough to get your app read by someone, now give them something good to read beside a number.

Oh, one other thing, what if there is no improvement, if you actually do worse, for whatever reason?