Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbf303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do residency programs look at step 2 if you have taken it? I did fine on step 1 but I didn't absolutely kill it. My urology department said that they do NOT look at step 2. I am just wondering what other programs do....

Members don't see this ad.

Criteria for selecting applicants to interviews definitely vary from program to program, so I can't make a generalized statement about whether or not a program will look at step 2 to make their invites--most likely I'd assume that step 1 scores are a more prominent filter than step 2 but thats purely speculative. I'll tell you though if you are interviewing at a program and have a step 2 score, programs will look at it. Usually the residency coordinator will make a summary sheet on your file and on it there'll be your step scores, whether you are AOA or not and other information they want to know. A great score on step 2 can only help you. I did well on both, and everyone commented something on both scores----likewise I've known lots of people who's app was helped significantly by it.

I did much better on Step 2 than Step 1 however, my step 2 score wasnt reported out until after I matched. My advice is if you need a boost for a sub-par step 1 then take a month and study hard and do well on Step 2. If your step 1 is good, I would let it stand alone, for as a good step 2 can only help you, a poor step 2 will do the opposite...choose wisely.