Step 2CK... PLEASE HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeonardMcCoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm an IMG and will be applying for family medicine residency this fall.

Step 1 score is 213(1st attempt).
Passed Step 2 CS(1st attempt)

I am trying to decided whether or not to take step 2 ck right now(August) or later because I haven't been doing all that well on NBMEs. I really don't want to risk failing Step 2 CK so I want to study a bit more before taking the real thing which would probably be around mid-late September.

How late can I submit my Step 2CK score and still have a fair chance of getting interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't most of the programs require IMGs ECFMG-certified by the time they apply for residency?

Hey everyone,
I'm an IMG and will be applying for family medicine residency this fall.

Step 1 score is 213(1st attempt).
Passed Step 2 CS(1st attempt)

I am trying to decided whether or not to take step 2 ck right now(August) or later because I haven't been doing all that well on NBMEs. I really don't want to risk failing Step 2 CK so I want to study a bit more before taking the real thing which would probably be around mid-late September.

How late can I submit my Step 2CK score and still have a fair chance of getting interviews?

I mean there is no "must take by date" but given your step 1 score you will need that step 2 earlier than someone with a higher step 1. Interviews start in october so I wouldn't push it further than mid-late september. That being said CK can be your saving grace so if I were in your shoes I wouldn't take it until I was in my goal range on practice tests even if that means possibly losing 1 year. Losing 1 year > sub avg CK