1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

step 2cs. anyone else feel like this.....

Discussion in 'Step II' started by spitfire5454, Dec 4, 2008.

1. spitfire5454

spitfire5454 New Member
    7+ Year Member

so i took mine 2 weeks ago. i felt a little nervous for the first case but i settled down after that. I felt like i nailed it when i left the test center, but im starting to get nervous b/c ive been hearing people failing it. I almost felt like it was too easy, which is now kinda scaring me. i always finished my encounter early. i was always done around the 5 min mark. Here is how i prepared: read FA for 3 weeks over and over. the week before my test i actually practiced the encounters in the book using my wife as the SP. I got into my own system and did them enough to where I could do it in my sleep.

heres what i did for every encounter on the real one (exactly the same every time). Spent about 2 min outside the door thinking of a couple of questions related specifically to thier problem. Knock. introduce myself and repeat thier name. Drape. sit. get history: Always asked when, where, severity, scale, previous episodes, progression, better, worse, radiation, frequency, quality, duration. changes in BM, appetite, diet,weight. any CP, SOB, N/V and whatever else i thought of that was relavant to thier CC along with all medical, social, surg history. ask permission to do physical. wash hands (hint: use hot water so your hands wont be cold). do physical. explain findings and plan. ask if they have any questions and consel. do note. always listed 5/5 ddx and work up.

Im hoping that through my practice i just became super effecient. anybody else always finish with 3-5 min to spare?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pocketknife52

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    kki

#2 pocketknife52, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  4. Ice dude

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    As far as i remember, 8/12 encounters i left the room before the 5 min bell, but didnot spend 2 minutes on the door. And i passed thank GOD!!!

5. OofMed

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    pocketknife. . I really don't mean this to sound offensive but it might. . did you pass the CIS? I draped every patient, lifted all the foot rests, and never repeated painful moves or got a speculum stuck in a patient's ear. .and I failed CIS. I have to do it all over which I really really hate.
    I'm beginning to think this is random.

6. pocketknife52

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i pas

#5 pocketknife52, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  7. Nuriko

7+ Year Member

Damn, I already sat for and passed CK, but Im not taking CS until about match day... now I wish I would have just gotten it out of the way already! It sounds like a royal pain in the ass, and I always forget little sh!t like draping the pt, telling them about each little part of the PE before I actually do it, washing my hands etc..