Step 2CS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kassie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is stupid...

But if you are a medical student, do you introduce yourself to the SP as Jane Doe or Dr. Doe?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

kassie said:
I know this is stupid...

But if you are a medical student, do you introduce yourself to the SP as Jane Doe or Dr. Doe?

Thanks

You can say whatever feels most comfortable. I took the exam in Philly and the staff called us doctors all day and made jokes that we'd paid enough for the exam that we should be able to say we were docs. However, I just introduced myself by first and last name and said I was a fourth year medical student. Saying "doctor" just didn't feel right.

So don't worry about it. Just remember to wash your hands!

The proctors will address the entire group as "Doctors......" all day long. Despite this, you are, in fact, not a doctor yet and should not introduce yourself as one (there are doctors present in the form of IMGs).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I just picture saying Jane Doe and then dealing with an SP giving me a hard time about not being a doc. It happened at my morchand exercise at Mt. Sinai.

Even though I have a doctorate (PhD), I don't refer to myself as Dr. because it is the wrong context.

wish me luck...

My experience this weekend in Atlanta was opposite -- they wanted us to be Dr. "whoever we wanted to be" (as long as it wasnt the number u were assigned). But all of us were instructed to introduce ourselves as Dr.

and honestly, it doesnt matter. youll figure it out for yourself, there's a lot fudge factor involved here... oh ya, lest u forget - the exam is a pigment of someone's imagination; so use ur own and become a doctor 6 months early; have fun with it - otherwise, its a loooooong 8.5 hours

hope that helps.

kassie said:
Thanks! I just picture saying Jane Doe and then dealing with an SP giving me a hard time about not being a doc. It happened at my morchand exercise at Mt. Sinai.

Even though I have a doctorate (PhD), I don't refer to myself as Dr. because it is the wrong context.

wish me luck...

I refered to myself as Doctor. It'll sound weird at first, but you'll get comfortable using it pretty quickly.

As others have already mentioned, good proctors at your test site will tell you that you can use whatever title you're comfortable with, so do it. No one is going to fail you for it.

Dr. So and So. Nobody cares or knows what you actually are, its irrelevant to the exam. And its easier and quicker than explaining that you are a student whatever.