Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

step 2CS, type or write

Discussion in 'Step II' started by FarEastGrapplr2, Nov 26, 2005.

1. FarEastGrapplr2

FarEastGrapplr2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

practicing my patient notes, my hand is getting pretty tired. did anyone type their patient notes?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stinger86

Stinger86 Intern year? Ha!
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yeah, but be careful because there's a rather restrictive character limit. In other words if you write too much for the HPI, you'll run out of space for the Social hx or some other part. I remember having to abbreviate a lot or even cut out whole words in order to include all the information I felt was important. When reading it the graders probably thought I was ******ed

4. abcyxz

abcyxz Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i would write them out... i noticed people were really frustrated when typing. also, real docs read these notes, so i think its totally cool to use some abbreviations that u cant do with the computer to help speed it up, as long as they are pretty basic and universally understood to meant whatever it stand for.

5. ExtraCrispy

ExtraCrispy Funky chicken
    7+ Year Member

Well, are you a faster typist or writer? Although the character limit was annoying as bupkiss, I found that it took me even longer to write out a note than it did to type it and fuddle with abbreviations. If you write about as fast as you type, go for handwritten; if you're a much faster typist, then although it's not perfect the computer may still be the best way for you.

6. FarEastGrapplr2

FarEastGrapplr2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

my typing is ok, but i didnt have time to practice typing abbreviations, etc. about a handful of the examinees typed their notes, and they were FLYING.

i took my CS yesterday and wrote out my notes. my hand was pretty tired, even though i wrote i bullet form, not enough space to wrote in longhand form

7. neilc

neilc 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

i typed, and i am not a super fast typer. i just know that when i do notes, i usually make a mistake or two, list things in the wrong oredr, or whatever. so, with the comp, you can cut, paste, delete, etc, without affecting your space limit. also, a big concern was legibility.

what i did was to basically do two practice cases out of first aid. i used the form in FA to write my note on one, and the form on the USMLE website to type the other. i timed it, checked out how they came out, and just decided that typing was the way to go. then i practiced typing them. i think it worked out far better for me. and, remember, you can do both, just not on the same patient. so, if you hand is getting tired, type a couple. or type ones that you get out early on. mix it up a bit!

best of luck.