Step 3 Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaribbeanMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been studying for step 3 for a few weeks and am about to finish uworld on random/timed/mixed.

I scheduled my test for next month and have a week in between.

I'm about to reset uworld and was wondering if it would be best for me to focus on the the Foundations questions up until day one and then focus on the advanced clinical medicine questions during the week I have in between (since USMLE website says day 1 of testing is FIP and the 2nd day is ACM)?

Or would it be better to just redo uworld entirely random/timed/mixed again?

This is aside from doing CCS prep which i'll begin next week.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there
I just passed my Step 3 last week.
I would be very honest with you, this exam is very general in content wise. I would not take it lightly at all. There is mixup of all steps on it. I would definitely redo all the questions mixed and timed. Do not focus on one thing and then be surprised on exam day.
I know on actual USMLE site, it tells you whats covered on Day 1 and Day 2, I would still be over prepared entirely. No point of waiting a week and doing next subject. At this point, you should be ready entirely as if you be taking the exam on consecutive days.
Lastly, one major advice, Do not wait till the last minute for CCS, It can curve your score big time.
I would do CCS as many times as you can before the actual exam. Sharpen your brain with orders input associated with diagnoses. In addition, familiarize yourself with UWORLD CCS software to the last minute detail, it will help you big time.
Again, Im telling you from my experience and CCS helped me big time.
Hope it helped, if you haven't taken the exam yet.
Good luck!

Hey there
I just passed my Step 3 last week.
I would be very honest with you, this exam is very general in content wise. I would not take it lightly at all. There is mixup of all steps on it. I would definitely redo all the questions mixed and timed. Do not focus on one thing and then be surprised on exam day.
I know on actual USMLE site, it tells you whats covered on Day 1 and Day 2, I would still be over prepared entirely. No point of waiting a week and doing next subject. At this point, you should be ready entirely as if you be taking the exam on consecutive days.
Lastly, one major advice, Do not wait till the last minute for CCS, It can curve your score big time.
I would do CCS as many times as you can before the actual exam. Sharpen your brain with orders input associated with diagnoses. In addition, familiarize yourself with UWORLD CCS software to the last minute detail, it will help you big time.
Again, Im telling you from my experience and CCS helped me big time.
Hope it helped, if you haven't taken the exam yet.
Good luck!
Thank you for your advice. How did you do comparatively with UW% and UWSA? also, how did you study for CCS? Im scheduled for my test in 10d and haven't started CCS yet (bc I'm not even done with UW), but I really don't want to push my test back unless I absolutely need to. your help is appreciated.