Step 3 and DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PC89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since CS has been discontinued the opportunity for DOs to take Step 3 is now more widely available. Will Cardiology PDs now preferentially look for DO candidates who take Step 3 over those who have only taken Level 3?

Members don't see this ad.

Since CS has been discontinued the opportunity for DOs to take Step 3 is now more widely available. Will Cardiology PDs now preferentially look for DO candidates who take Step 3 over those who have only taken Level 3?
No as long as your Step 1/2CK were good.

Reactions: 1 user
I was one of the few DOs who took Step 2 CS so I could take Step 3. It helped me but YMMV. I think there's not much of a reason now to NOT take Step 3 if you've already taken Steps 1 and 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was one of the few DOs who took Step 2 CS so I could take Step 3. It helped me but YMMV. I think there's not much of a reason now to NOT take Step 3 if you've already taken Steps 1 and 2.
A little off topic- but can you take Step 2 if you've only taken COMLEX Level 1 or do you need to have taken Step 1 first? (with both Step 1 and Level 1 being P/NP going forward, I think there's less of a reason to take both Level 1 and Step 1 so I'd consider taking COMLEX 1 and then Step 2 + COMLEX 2).

A little off topic- but can you take Step 2 if you've only taken COMLEX Level 1 or do you need to have taken Step 1 first? (with both Step 1 and Level 1 being P/NP going forward, I think there's less of a reason to take both Level 1 and Step 1 so I'd consider taking COMLEX 1 and then Step 2 + COMLEX 2).
Edit: Steps 1 and 2 CK can be taken in any order, see below. My original statement was incorrect.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you have to take the exams in sequential order.
Actually, that is incorrect. You can take step 2, without step 1, as a DO (I did it). No idea if the pass/ fail change altered that loophole, however

Reactions: 1 user