Step 3 Before PGY1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boaz

shanah alef
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting IM residency in NY this summer. I'm wondering if I should take Step 3 before I start work so as to get it out of the way. Is there any concievable downside to that?
My program doesn't subsidize step 3, so waiting wouldn't save me the cost. Also, I can just register for it after graduation and take it two weeks later.

Members don't see this ad.

No reason to wait. Start studying for it. Personally, I found it was better to wait to get some experience under my belt when I came across the clinical vingettes.

Reactions: 1 users
The advantage to waiting would be to get it paid for. If that's not an option, no real disadvantage.

To register for Step 3, do we need some sort of registration ID # from our med school? Or will our residency give us something to register with? Thanks!

A few states require that Step 3 is taken after x months of internship for licensure. No clue if violators are actually prevented from getting licensed in the future, but here: http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_requirementschart.html

This is why many residents register through another State's board. California and Connecticut, for example, do not require a minimum number of months, so you can take it right away.

However, I disagree that there's no advantage to waiting if your school doesn't pay for Step 3--there's a huge advantage. Most of what's on Step 3 is internal medicine, so if you're going into IM then you likely won't have to study any IM (just refresh your peds, OB, and surgery) when you take the exam.

I have heard of people taking Step 3 prior to internship, but it's a difficult thing to do. There are threads about this, but I believe you can't apply until you graduate, and then you need to get your residency program director's signature. These, as well as the endorsement of whatever state board you choose, take time. It took a little over two weeks from when I submitted my application to the FSMB to when I was actually able to register for the exam. I don't remember if you need state board endorsement before you submit your application or not, so that could potentially add more time. So it's just something to be aware of.

I also think people should relax and enjoy the time prior to starting internship, rather than spend it studying for Step 3, but I could understand wanting to get it out of the way.

Reactions: 1 user
Missouri recently changed some regulations that make it much more difficult for me to register for Step 3 as an IMG for various reasons. I'm too lazy to explain the entire bureaucratic process right now, but my life would have been significantly easier if I'd taken Step 3 before starting internship.

Only if you're going into pathology. If you're doing anything clinical, it will be much easier and you'll have to study less the more residency you do.

And, depending on if you're interested in a competitive fellowship like GI, cards or allergy, a low score could hurt your application.

Missouri recently changed some regulations that make it much more difficult for me to register for Step 3 as an IMG for various reasons. I'm too lazy to explain the entire bureaucratic process right now, but my life would have been significantly easier if I'd taken Step 3 before starting internship.
So register for step 3 through Connecticut. It doesn't matter what state you reside in or plan to take it in. They're getting rid of the "register through a state" requirement pretty soon anyway.

I have heard of people taking Step 3 prior to internship, but it's a difficult thing to do. There are threads about this, but I believe you can't apply until you graduate, and then you need to get your residency program director's signature.

you don't need any program directors signature to take step 3

if you are an IMG you just need to be ECFMG certified, and then mail in your CID form, and soon after you will have a permit to take the test.
if you are an AMG it's even easier, as you don't have to wait for ECFMG certification.

No reason to wait. Start studying for it. Personally, I found it was better to wait to get some experience under my belt when I came across the clinical vingettes.

Only if you're going into pathology. If you're doing anything clinical, it will be much easier and you'll have to study less the more residency you do. And, depending on if you're interested in a competitive fellowship like GI, cards or allergy, a low score could hurt your application.

Traditionally, I understand that it often made sense to wait to take Step 3 (for that clinical experience in PGY1) especially for those in clinical or IM/FM residencies. However, now with the given changes to Step 3, if you had a choice do you think it is better to take Step 3 before it changes prior to or early in PGY1 (or) wait for more experience but take the new Step 3?

Changes proposed include: "increased numbers of items that assess an expanded range of competency-based content, including foundational science essential for effective healthcare; biostatistics, epidemiology, and population health; literature interpretation; medical ethics; and patient safety." Foundational science is likely to include clinically relevant basic science.