Step 3 before residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiley83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We can take step3 before residency, right? I just want to make sure. Does this affect where you can apply for residency? Example, if i apply for NY license, can i still apply to residency programs in NJ? Or will that be a waste?

Members don't see this ad.

We can take step3 before residency, right? I just want to make sure. Does this affect where you can apply for residency? Example, if i apply for NY license, can i still apply to residency programs in NJ? Or will that be a waste?

you can not even apply to take step 3 until after you graduate, therefore you would already know your residency pending you matched or were not doing a sole research yr. Some states, like NY require you to apply for your license at the same time as you apply for step 3. All states have their own diff rules. You'll need to look it up. And if you had a license in one state, since you would have had to already complete all your steps to get that, if you went to another state you just pay to be licensed there as well and look up whatever their requirements were. Same as if you decided to move states one day.