Step 3 Berore Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOC2KGILL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am an IMG.I am done with step 1,2ck and cs.currently living in canada.i am thinking of giving step 3 before applying for residency.but since it is a state specific exam,can i give it for more than 1 state or just 1?i dont know about that.some programes sponsor h1 visa if step 3 is done.please put some light on this.i am too confused.waiting.........

Members don't see this ad.

Doubtful, but you should just check with your state's licensing authority; timing varies from state-to-state. Some states require 6 months of training, some require more, some require none.

Hi everyone,
I am an IMG.I am done with step 1,2ck and cs.currently living in canada.i am thinking of giving step 3 before applying for residency.but since it is a state specific exam,can i give it for more than 1 state or just 1?i dont know about that.some programes sponsor h1 visa if step 3 is done.please put some light on this.i am too confused.waiting.........

Spread the word! You do NOT need to live in, be scheduled for residency in, have done any residency in, or even take the exam in the state you sign up for Step 3 through. Yes, many states do require a certain amount of postgraduate training before you are eligible to take the test, but others, for example Connecticut, require none. The two big requirements are that you have graduated from medical school and that your school has certified your graduation. The licensing board of the state you are applying through checks that electronically. The actual test is the same everywhere, and once you pass, your score is valid everywhere.

So, when you go to register for Step 3, you are allowed to choose which state to register through. Choose Connecticut or some other state with no postgraduate training requirement, and follow their specific directions for registration. Medical schools have until June 30 of the year you graduate, at least for spring graduations, to certify your graduation. Once the licensing board of your chosen state sees electronically that your graduation is certified, your scheduling permit will be processed and arrive in your mailbox shortly after. You take the test at any Prometric center that offers Step 3 ... take it where you want, and it does NOT have to be in the state you registered through. For example, I did medical school, am doing residencyin, and took Step 3 in Massachusetts, but I registered through Connecticut.

For US seniors, this means that, depending on how speedily your medical school certifies your graduation and how early your residency starts, you may be able to squeeze in Step 3 before residency starts. For example, this is a handy thing to do if you're going into pathology, the residency for which is not going to help you get a higher score on Step 3. For people in your situation (I'm assuming you're graduated from medical school), it means that you do not have to have done any postgraduate training to take the test and can get it out of the way before even applying to residency.

As I said, this option is especially great for pathologists! I don't know how many people in my pathology program have said something like "Argh! I didn't know you could do that! I would have taken it right after graduation!" I don't know if I'd especially recommend it for US grads entering fields in which their Step 3 scores might make a difference for fellowships ... but then again, your peds/ob/family practice knowledge likely atrophies during surgical internships, and so on for different fields.

Best of luck.

hey thanks a lot for all the information.thats exactly what i was hoping it to be.