Step 3 CCS/ consult

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FON86

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do consults in the real CCS, ever give you a real response? In UWorld they always say the same thing.

Members don't see this ad.

in my test, no, exact same thing like UW.
but I heard it can give you some REAL response, like the surgery will be scheduled and arranged, then the patient gets transferred, the case over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consultants give a real response on the exam. UW does not tell about sequencing of orders and did not incorporate this sequence in to their software algorithm. Exam step 3 software is cleverly designed to change surgeon's responses based on sequencing of your orders. You can practice the following example on NBME exam software and see how surgeon's response changes.
I learned this on a demonstration shown on ********** video. Step 3 software tests us if we are capable of meeting Surgery criteria before calling a Surgeon. If you do a surgery on a patient who does not meet criteria, it will fail us because we are removing an organ from a patient or invading a patient who does not need it. With regard to what Archer showed, he gives a clear example in aortic dissection case on the step 3 software how surgeon accepts the case when criteria is met ( CT scan results show ascending dissection and then we should sequence consult order). In the same case, he calls surgery consult before ordering a CT and the surgeon says "no recommendation" . He calls surgeon after ordering CT and after result comes in for the CT, then same surgeon accepts and says "patient will be scheduled for surgery". So, it is important to sequence orders to meet surgical criteria first and then call surgeon if required. The criteria for surgery in dissection is the location - ascending aorta - CT needs to be read before calling a surgeon.

Does the CCS come with the general UWorld QBank or do you have to buy this separately in addition to the Step 3 QBank?

Does the CCS come with the general UWorld QBank or do you have to buy this separately in addition to the Step 3 QBank?

They are separate but you get a discount when buying both at the same time. I paid $200 for 60 days of both.

And as above posters have noted, the consultant will take the patient to surgery if the conditions are correct. In at least one case, a surgical consult triggered the end of the case for me. UW software is less sophisticated and the consultant never does anything (sometimes mirroring reality haha).

Last edited: