Step 3 CCS practice cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CNphair

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have a rather basic question regarding the practice cases provided by USMLE. I have done all 5 cases. However, I keep getting cut off after 7 minutes. I will be processing labs and suddenly get the 5 minute warning. Is this just the practice setup? Because I thought we got 20 minutes followed by a 5 minute warning unless we choose to finish early. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you do everything necessary to establish a diagnosis then the case will end early. This is actually a good sign. However, I would not rest on your laurels. The program will allow you to plug in some "last minute" orders before exiting. It's important to include all relevant tests for a given work up (e.g. TFTs for tachycardia) and (important!) counseling. Just type "counsel" into the action box and you will get a long list.

These cases are fairly straightforward and for most (if not all) you will end early b/c you chose the correct diagnostic pathway.

Thank you, dear. I finished the test this afternoon. I actually got cut off after 5-7 minutes with every case. Unfortunately, I lost track of the "5 minute" warning on one and did not get even get to type a diagnosis...but, by God, I provided counseling on every issue under the sun.

Ah well. Overall, I thought it was one of the most random exams I have ever taken. I got 11...yes, eleven...retina scans. It was awesome. Nothing like a rad onc resident managing opthalmology cases.

Blah.