Step 3 Exam & Prep Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dustydoc87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we all await the match day, I thought I would share with you my recent step 3 exam experience. My results arrived today and I score higher than I initially expected. I’ll start with the exam structure. As you all know, Step 3 exam is a 2-day exam. The first day is made up of 7 1hr blocks of inpatient and outpatient clinical questions while the next day is made of 4 45mins blocks of inpatient and outpatient clinical questions plus 12 Clinical Case Simulations.

The first day, was a typical Step 2 CK exam! The only difference was that the questions tended to be longer and the questions were divided into inpatient and outpatient blocks. The main difficulty was time rather than knowledge. Your enemy is the time factor. In fact a lot of my friends who recently took the exam missed 1-5 questions per block so watch the clock! The second day was a different experience; it was shorter and not so mentally draining. The questions of the first 4 blocks were shorter and straight to the point. Yet time was still a factor so keep an eye on it. Unfortunately, unlike everyone else, I found the toughest portion to be CCS due to my poor preparation and that should not be your case. 10 cases ended early for me, 1 pediatric case deteriorated until the time ran out and I couldn’t reach a diagnosis. The other case was a CHF exacerbation that I accidentally treated with IV fluids and lasix! The patient was not improving…duh! I found out at the very last minute before the case locks me out and d/c it. As for the other 10 cases, I think managed them well but not optimally. I definitely missed a few tests and counseling here and there.

To the best part now….Step 3 exam preparation.
1. My first advice is to take your step 3 exam right after Step 2 CK. You’ll save yourself a lot of time, energy and earn a higher score. I took step 3, a year and a half after my step 2 CK which definitely made my prep harder.
2. Do not buy any books for step 3…use your Step 2 CK book and notes ONLY! You’ll do yourself a favor by revising books you are familiar with rather than starting a brand new study quest. I bough MTB Step 3 and barely used it!
3. Qbank….Although USMLEWORLD Qbank is not as good for step 3 as other steps. I still highly recommend it. Answer it at least 2X. I was only able to go through it 1X due to time constrains but I re-read the question notes I took.
4. CCS…I underestimated the cases. Everyone was telling me how easy they are and I bought in! I only answered the cases 1.5X. They are easy but only if you prepare well. My advice is to do the USMLE WORLD cases at least 2X and read all the non-simulated cases (I didn’t and you should not do this overwhelmingly common mistake). Other test takers also subscribe to Archer cases for $90 and they swear by how good it is. I was low on time and wanted to save some money so I didn’t. Looking back I would have subscribed and bought confidence and peace of mind.
My in-exam advice is to write down your SYSTEM (routine tests, pre-op prep, post-op f/u, counseling, etc…) on the laminated sheet of paper before you start your exam. Time is NOT a factor in the CCS portion and you’ll probably finish an hour early…at least that was my case.

I hope this helps! I wish you guys all the best and let me know if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad.