Step 3 fail...ugh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhilGrammer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just got my results back today and I failed by a standard deviation (according to the the three digit number) below 187. My two digit number was 65 and 75 was passing. I did not do an internal medicine internship/transitional year. I scored well in the CCS. My UW was 48% overall (it was my only study material and it took me a month to get throuhg), one time through with random blocks of 20 questions. I have 4 months to retake it, before there could be possible trouble with my residency program.

After reading all these forums, it seems like people are only failing by a point, and with the SEM (Standard error of measurement) could have had a good chance of passing if they simply took it the next day, sans studying. Considering I was pretty far from passing, I was wondering if anyone had any advise as to what to do. Am I sunk? Is there too little time to learn that much internal medicine in such a short period of time, while still working in my residency program?

Has anyone heard of someone scoring this low the first time and coming back to pass round two? Any information would be greatly appreciated, be it yes you can or no you are sunk. Honesty is what I am looking for. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

no, you are not sunk just because you have a really low score this time around. i had a 68, and then 2 months later i studied everyday and got a 78 (10 point increase).

on Step 2ck, i had a 20 point increase. these tests are all about luck.

work hard again and retake!

Was there an issue w/ timing on the exam (ie. able to see/answer all questions) or soley a foundation thing?

I felt rushed the entire test, but was able to finish sections right on time.

The CCS were simple. I did fairly well (ie passing) on them.

Members don't see this ad :)
no, you are not sunk just because you have a really low score this time around. i had a 68, and then 2 months later i studied everyday and got a 78 (10 point increase).

on Step 2ck, i had a 20 point increase. these tests are all about luck.

work hard again and retake!

Jokerabc-

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do differently on the 2nd attempt, regarding prep materials or change in strategy/approach?

Thanks.

Lol, nevermind....just read your other post

Last edited:
Yes, students have come back and improved but only after doing a lot more reading.Did you review the latest guidelines and high yield topics? Reviewing management, OMT and prevention is key. A lot of outpatient medicine is stressed and basic board review books wont do the trick. Harrisons, websites like Uptodate, and tons of questions....you can do it.

Jokerabc-

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do differently on the 2nd attempt, regarding prep materials or change in strategy/approach?

Thanks.

Lol, nevermind....just read your other post

Yup, MTB, with a little more detailed reading on weak subjects really helped me.