Step 3 help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bazinga1983

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need suggestion/guidance regarding how to rectify poor performance of step 3. When will I be retaking? Not sure because according to various state licensure requirements state allowance of 3 attempts on step 3 so I can’t risk this. Plus, this is NOT a priority because retaking and passing before next application cycle is not going to improve my chances because despite passing, I would still appear highly incompetent based on my record. So only way to change this perception is by research/observership leading to getting to know the program director and others. Additionally, according to USMLE anyone who takes their exam starting on 1/18/17 – 4/30/17 will get their score on 5/17/17 so there is no point in rushing this.

Synopsis of prior preparation:

First attempt:

1) Usmle world = completed 2 times in timed random mode along with incorrect questions + marked. Made about 900 flashcards and reviewed them constantly.
  1. a. First pass = 53% correct
  2. b. Second pass = 75 % correct

2) MTB = read once or twice along with watching Medquest (Conrad fishcer) step 3 HY videos once.

3) Medquest step 3 HY audio: converted video’s into mp3 for iPhone and listened for about 90 minutes a day during my commute.

4) UWSA = 205 – took about 8 weeks before first attempt

5) NBME = 400 – took about 6 weeks before first attempt.

6) CCS = primarily UW software cases

7) Biostats = Usmle world step 1, step 2, step 3 + Usmle world course + skimmed through Kaplan lecture notes for bio stats.

8) Real thing: 185 – scores came back September 14, 2016
a. Struggled with timing of first block. Left 5 questions answered.
b. Rest of the blocks – Little struggle still persisted but not as bad as the first block
c. CCS – I was very anxious and perhaps due to lack of familiarity and experience.

Second attempt on December 29 and 30th, 2016:

Timing: Ran out of time on the very first block where i left 3 questions blank but other than that finished every block with random guessing on abstract questions

1) Kaplan question bank – timed random mode
  1. a. Made notes
  2. b. 60% correct
2) Usmle world = Re did entire question bank and also tried to resist temptation of making notes all over. However, somehow ended up making notes

1. a. typed into uworld software itself and or on a separate loose sheet
  2. i. Not the worst thing. Probably enforced some material.
  3. b. Also did incorrect + marked questions
3) MTB = Focused on MTB more ensuring to keep material fresh and to make sure that I am uptodate on content that is NOT being covered in Usmle world or Kaplan question bank. Material such as: pediatrics and obgyn.

4) Medquest (Conrad fishcer) step 3 HY videos = once or twice

5) Medquest step 3 HY audio: converted video’s into mp3 for iPhone and listened for about 90 minutes a day during my commute.

6) Weak points from first attempt – Pediatrics, Obgyn, Psych, Neuro and CCS
  1. a. Pediatrics – Primarily MTB3 and Kaplan lecture notes 2013. I found Kaplan lecture notes were very similar to MTB 3 pediatrics. I typed up notes on material that I did not know or felt weak such as pneumonia etc.
  2. i. I am not sure if I got enough practice applying these concepts. Perhaps, that would have helped more.
  3. b. OBGYN – Primarily MTB 3
  4. c. Psych – MTB 3
7) Step up to medicine = did not read cover to cover. Since my internal medicine section was not too terrible (terrible yes but not as bad as pediatrics and non-internal medicine concepts).
  1. a. Did look up various internal medicine concepts from this book and from uptodate, first step 1, first aid step 2 ck. Again, most of the information was the same as MTB so did not feel the need to make notes again. Only wrote took stuff that I did not know or needed clarification.
8) CCS = this was the biggest weakness that needed to be addressed.

1. a. UW software cases multiple times. Meticulously obsessing over details and just trying to memorize and learn from their feedback. Making notes and reviewing often.
  2. b. UW online read out loud cases – did not do.
  3. c. Archer videos
  4. i. There are 6 videos and I watched 5 of them along with making notes. As I was watching it, I realized a lot of mistakes that I made during my first attempt which were pointed out by archer that I did not even think about or just failed to realize. So this was really hopeful and provided with some confidence as to pass and be done.
9) Biostats = Went through usmle world step 3 question bank but did not work on it as much as I did previously since I had those notes which I did review often. Plus, I could have not forgotten all that biostats in few weeks.

Overall:

End of my preparation, I felt more confident because 1) I worked on my weakness of pediatrics, neuro and respiratory. Also, after doing archer videos, I felt a lot more in control because of an outline which I developed allowing me to go through a case in a systematical and robotic manner. So was hoping for a much better outcome in CCS but according to the profile, I performed the same or slightly worse than first attempt. Perhaps, residency experience is needed. Along with improving my weakness, my objective was to keep areas of strength, relatively speaking, intact and that’s why continuous reviewing of content was done. Looking at the profile, it is clear that previous weak areas improved but areas of strength converted into weakness or at least decline. So this points to lacking appropriate mastery of basic fundamentals. This gets exposed when the same concept is tested with a new wrinkle and in a twisted manner yet semi-familiar manner. Now, I highly doubt that I don’t know anything but rather not completely and that there are holes which are preventing from really letting me perform better.

Plan:

Whatever little self-confidence, I had left what down the drain along with everything that I worked for. And have nothing to show for it. Now, that’s another $4900 (ERAS) down the drain along with prior undergrad, postbac, masters and medical schools private loan. Resuming life and having some sort of income to help parents pay for student loans is also down the drain. Sadly, it is not due to not working hard, prioritizing this exam over everything and not taking this serious. And now, no matter what source I would choose, I would always be second guessing myself and will have doubts if I am reading the correct material in appropriate depth? Am I wasting time on minutia? Am I giving enough attention to this question along with debating over spending appropriate energy and time reading explanation? At the end of all this debate, I will be so exhausted because of wasted energy. I wish I can find a hole deep enough to crawl into but I am not that lucky either. Because asking for an abyss would be too much.

Anyone has suggestion how to remedy this situation? My initial though was to use either 1) Kaplan 2013 step 2 CK lecture notes for Internal medicine + MTB 3 for everything else or 2) Step up to medicine + MTB 3 for everything else? Still have all of my Usmle world step 3 notes but don’t know if I need to re do that q bank or what else. Also, I don’t really have a definite idea of my test date.

1. Perhaps utilized usmleworld step 2 question bank right now to learn the fundamentals or review them along with step up to medicine or kaplan step 2 ck lecture notes? And use that to build it up and once things stabilize and then can do Step 2 NBME exams + Clinical Mastery series. When time comes, i can switch it to usmle world step 3?
Anyway, who can provide some guidance/suggestion regarding resources or what not to do or do, I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much!

I have attached my score feedback from first and 2nd attempt. If needed i can upload screen shots of usmle world question correct breakdown for each attempt if needed.

If you are wondering:

1) Step 1- 210 first pass. Poor time management issues because left about 18 questions blank without an answer. Not saying it is the reason that caused me to score 210 but it might have been a factor. At that point passing score was 188.

2) Step 2 - 208 then 4 weeks later 220
  1. First attempt: About 8 questions left blank without an answer.
3) Step 2 cs - first pass

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• First_Second.png
    First_Second.png
    345.6 KB · Views: 112
Wondering how you did time wise on Step 3.

I found it extremely frustrating to run out of time on several blocks and had to guess on bunch of questions blindly on Day #1 in the beginning. During later blocks, focusing on moving forward after answering (and flagging) no matter how tempting it was to repeat it-->which decreased my stress-->decreased "deer in headlights" reading-->allowed me to get through later blocks on time.

I didn't do time tutor on qbank because I didn't want to rush through the material, i.e. can't focus on reviewing and time simultaneously. You can always check your time with practice exam and I typed out notes while reviewing to ensure that I gave myself adequate time to process the info reviewed.