Step 3 in One week am I screwed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobvance

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
US Surgical Sub-specialty intern here. My program requires we take step 3 before May and I've put off studying for the exam (mostly because everyone I've talked to said they didn't open a book/do questions, or study). Kind of having a panic attach and kicking myself for not studying earlier. If I study hard for one week is that enough to just pass the exam or am I screwed. Also are there any resources or quick info tips or things I MUST do so that I don't miss easy questions come exam day.

Members don't see this ad.

FA step 1 (pharm, micro), MTB step 2ck, MTB step 3, CCS cases (know the software )
Ummm...UWorld Step 3?

In seriousness OP what’s gouging to happen is that you’re going to pass given your surgical subspecialty likely required a high Step 1, the biggest correlations to Step 3 seem to be prior Steps.

1.) Go through 120 UW daily. You may not finish but whatever.
2.) I recommend MedQuest by Conrad Fischer, a bit pricey.
3.) Buy and do UWorld CCS cases. Do like at least 50.
4.) Emphasize Biostats heavily. Do the UW extension right away and memorize the formulas and know how to calculate from a 2x2 table. Don’t try to figure it out on the exam. Practice it ahead of time. It makes a difference in your score.
5. Dont bother with practice tests unless you want extra questions which I don’t think you’ll need given you have your work cut out for you. Their correlation’s is terrible IMO.

Your percentile relative to your other steps may drop a bit but i think you should be fine. Good luck! My bet for you is somewhere between 230-250. There’s enough esoteric stuff you remember from Step 1 and probably biostats stuff to buffer you. Make sure you’re familiar with CCS too. It’ll be a stressful week but I have no doubt you’ll make it through.

Last edited:
Ummm...UWorld Step 3?

In seriousness OP what’s gouging to happen is that you’re going to pass given your surgical subspecialty likely required a high Step 1, the biggest correlations to Step 3 seem to be prior Steps.

1.) Go through 120 UW daily. You may not finish but whatever.
2.) I recommend MedQuest by Conrad Fischer, a bit pricey.
3.) Buy and do UWorld CCS cases. Do like at least 50.
4.) Emphasize Biostats heavily. Do the UW extension right away and memorize the formulas and know how to calculate from a 2x2 table. Don’t try to figure it out on the exam. Practice it ahead of time. It makes a difference in your score.
5. Dont bother with practice tests unless you want extra questions which I don’t think you’ll need given you have your work cut out for you. Their correlation’s is terrible IMO.

Your percentile relative to your other steps may drop a bit but i think you should be fine. Good luck! My bet for you is somewhere between 230-250. There’s enough esoteric stuff you remember from Step 1 and probably biostats stuff to buffer you. Make sure you’re familiar with CCS too. It’ll be a stressful week but I have no doubt you’ll make it through.
How long did it take you to finish all the medquest videos and did you read all of mtb3 along w the videos or just watch the videos? Thx!

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome thank you for the reply! I could careless for scoring well I just want to pass. What time frame do most people take with regards to studying for the exam.

How long did it take you to finish all the medquest videos and did you read all of mtb3 along w the videos or just watch the videos? Thx!
No need to read MTB. MedQuest is MTB crystallized in video form 60 hrs, did it in a week (6 hrs a day, honestly skipped some non peds/OB areas - I'm IM). I spent way longer prepping but if you only have a week, then 120Q/day and just going for the exam when you likely have 250+ step 1/2 given you're surgical subspecialty is what is making me project 230-250 based on this study strategy.

Awesome thank you for the reply! I could careless for scoring well I just want to pass. What time frame do most people take with regards to studying for the exam.
I personally spent two months but I'm sure people get away with way less. Someone prepped for 2 weeks and scored higher than me. Here's a good compilation, I put my detailed experience there: USMLE - Official USMLE Step 3 Experiences Thread