Step 3 limitations

Started by keforce
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

keforce

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's the maximum time allowed between taking Step 1 and Step 3 for a MD/PhD graduate? I understand the time limit is 7 years for regular MD graduate. I am at a dilemma here. I took Step 1 back in July of 2004 and I will be doing a year of postdoctoral fellowship before starting my intern year in July of 2010. That means I absolutely have to take Step 3 at the end of my intern year if the time limitation is 7 years. Will the nbme make exceptions for combined MD/PhD graduates? I appreciate your input.
 
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7899635

Bottom line: it depends on the state and your PhD subject. Most states give 7 years from step 1-step 3, but some have extended this for everyone, some automatically extend for MD-PhDs, others use an appeals process, etc.

So, the 7 year limit for MD/PhD students only applies for applying for license for certain states? I assume the license you apply for taking USMLE step 3 is the license you apply to practice in a state. Otherwise, can one just apply to take the USMLE step 3 via a different state than the state the physician wishes to practice in?