STEP 3 marks ????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bekham

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Im trying to write this step 3 before i start my peds residency.....But before I wanted to know something before I write the exams next week......Are these step 3 marks important ?I mean like if I wanted a fellowship later on will a low step 3 mark affect it big time.any reply would be appreciated...........

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question more directly, as I'm not really so sure how much your step 3 scores affect fellowship opportunities...but what I do know is that it's more common to take step 3 sometime during residency as opposed to taking it before you start residency. The reasoning behind that is that residency gives you firsthand experience and further education that theoretically helps you to score higher on the exam. Is there any reason in particular that you're trying to take step 3 before residency begins?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Im trying to write this step 3 before i start my peds residency.....But before I wanted to know something before I write the exams next week......Are these step 3 marks important ?I mean like if I wanted a fellowship later on will a low step 3 mark affect it big time.any reply would be appreciated...........

You could write it during internship also, but Step 3 has also every subject that Step 2 has as far as I know, i.e. ob/gyn, surgery, . . . question is NOT how important it is for fellowship. (Sure it matter to one degree or another, and failing it would always look bad).

Question is how to maximize doing well on Step 3, which may mean taking it closer to third year and step 2 CK as you may forget some of the more general stuff. I am sure there are a variable number of answers as to whether it will help for fellowship, but also doing very well in residency is important too, not to mention the program you are going to, (obviously you can't change this).

I don't think it matters much. Probably less than the first 2. It seems that they want to see that you passed it and that it was similar to your other scores. LORs and inservice scores matter much more