Step 3 Prep advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plasmatron88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I just got done with STEP 2 CK and Im gonna start prepping for Step 3, need advice on which books and sources to use for this purpose; I dont have rocking step scores and got a 215 in step 1 and 227 in step 2, Hence just using Uworld and MTB 3 wont suffice for me, If possible I want to get a better step 3 score than my step 2ck; so that being the objective what do you guys think I need to use for preparation apart from UWORLD and MTB 3 ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still awaiting a response

You could do Archer for step 3. Search it. If you get done with everything get Mksap but that would probably be overkill.

Uworld and mtb are the only sources I used and did well. Do all of your studying now and take it at the beginning of intern year. IMO it's a med school test and could/should be taken before starting residency. UWorld is all you need for ccs but practice all 52? cases.

When people are saying they used MTB3 do they mean just the book? Or the book + the lectures?

The lecture component to the step 2 MTB was very helpful.

The videos are not very helpful. The just repeat everything in the book (MTB3). I'd suggest just reading the book on your own or purchasing an extra qbank other then uworld if you need reinforcement.

I just took the exam and got my score back today. All I used to prepare was UWorld (questions and CCS cases). I averaged 60% on UWorld on my first pass, and took notes on all the questions and studied them. I also went back through my medical school notes in epidemiology/biostats. I ended up with a 228. If you're aiming to ace it and not just pass by a healthy margin, I don't have much advice except to take full length practice tests, since it really is an endurance test in a lot of ways.

I got lucky and I would not recommend this method of doing this (Kinda had to due to other reasons).
PGY-3 surgical residency. Ended up doing ten days of UWorld. Average score ~62%. Strong biostats and Epidemiology background which helped with Day 1.
Day 2 was difficult in terms of complexity of cases I found. CCS was probably the easiest part of the whole test.
Score today: 226
Not bad overall for the amount of work but definitely would not recommend. I think a minimum of 3-4 weeks is required to fully understand the material and feel 'prepared'. Checking the score was rather anxiety-provoking. Good luck everyone!