Step 3 prep course recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptoi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm studying for Step 3 (aiming to take it in a month) and I'm curious whether anyone has had any positive experiences with prep courses. Is the Kaplan course good? And has anyone had any experience with the new Step 3 DIT course? I'm aiming to do really well on the exam, not just pass it. Also, for anyone who recently took the exam, how much of the basic sciences are on it? I heard they were adding some basic science questions to the exam. Currently I'm planning on doing:

-USMLE World (this is a given)
-Kaplan Qbank
-Master the Boards
-First Aid Step 3
-maybe supplement with Case Files OB-Gyn and BRS Pediatrics since I don't remember those as well...

Any other resources which were helpful for people?

Members don't see this ad.

Id recommend Archers CCS Review. I think its $88 but he goes into detail on how to navigate the CCS software on Step 3 as well as tackling many CCS cases. In regards to Kaplan, I think its OK but it doesnt really go into detail into management. I listened to Archer's Step 3 videos and he goes into detail about management. I think combining Kaplan and Archer is good preparation.

I am more of an audio type of learner, so listening to Kaplan lectures and Archer's lectures are helpful.

I would say USMLE World two times is better than reading any textbook. I am preparing for my exam and using UWORLD + DIT + MTB3. I think MTB3 is the worst and many things in it contradict what is UWORLD (of course I will go with UWORLD). DIT 3 is good but it is very basic and does not go into deep details in management and diagnostic tests (this is what all step 3 is about). UWORLD has very nice explanations, guidelines and tables that can not be found in any other book.

by the way, I noticed that DIT step 3 follows guidelines from UWORLD most of the times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Id recommend Archers CCS Review. I think its $88 but he goes into detail on how to navigate the CCS software on Step 3 as well as tackling many CCS cases. In regards to Kaplan, I think its OK but it doesnt really go into detail into management. I listened to Archer's Step 3 videos and he goes into detail about management. I think combining Kaplan and Archer is good preparation.

I am more of an audio type of learner, so listening to Kaplan lectures and Archer's lectures are helpful.

I second Metropath. I have thoroughly listened to Archer but doing it the second time now since I took a bit of break from study prep due to personal issues. CCS one is the best on Archer. The theory lectures are also right on point and covers a good bit of Step 3 highyield topics and basically underlying concept. Step 3 is not reading bullet points and first aid like you see with DIT3 but it is more about learning concept that is crucial for practice and Archer excels there. UW Qbank is certainly a great source and Archer will complement the understanding of the Q-Bank concepts. And I also recommend some questions on the blog at http://usmlestep3blog.com , there are some crucial concepts tested there. In addition, i am gearing up to do Kaplan qbank once I finish UW Q-bank.

Hi guys, I'm studying for Step 3 (aiming to take it in a month) and I'm curious whether anyone has had any positive experiences with prep courses. Is the Kaplan course good? And has anyone had any experience with the new Step 3 DIT course? I'm aiming to do really well on the exam, not just pass it. Also, for anyone who recently took the exam, how much of the basic sciences are on it? I heard they were adding some basic science questions to the exam. Currently I'm planning on doing:

-USMLE World (this is a given)
-Kaplan Qbank
-Master the Boards
-First Aid Step 3
-maybe supplement with Case Files OB-Gyn and BRS Pediatrics since I don't remember those as well...

Any other resources which were helpful for people?

Im sure you ended up acing the exam dude. Which review materials or course you end up using?

Do you recommend both Archer and Kaplan along with UW? or just Archer and UW would do? I have already started Archer and UW, do i need to look at kaplan as well? Thank you

This is a disclaimer- I am not advertising for anyone..per multiple denigratory pursuits made by various, omnibus entities claiming thus..in fact through my own personal experiences, I have developed a catalog of outcomes, both pro and con, that may in fact be of benefit to the recipient of said data. However, I am disclaiming in advance, any such guarantee or warrny, that said outcomes will apply to your case..Essentially, I was in your boat several years back with several failures and no USCE and no hope!...here I am now in 4th yr (chief rez) IM... just email me direct (enycity at g mail; put "exams’ and residency advice needed" into the subject header);