Step 3 Prep Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartonic

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please do not pay for a prep course or a tutor.

MCQ- For the multiple choice part all you need is Uworld qbank. You can refer to any additional resources you used for CK but this will be for reference only. Bulk of your time will be Uworld questions. You can do it multiple times, or do an inocrrect round and reset it and complete it again. Up to you. Would also recommend doing the 2 NBME's online as the style of questions felt similar to the actual Step 3. They also provide correct answers. It is important to quickly review these concepts in addition to Uworld qbank. There is a thread on SDN where someone posted NBME score conversions to the 3 digit Step 3 score. I think that one was pretty accurate although it doesn't take into account CCS performance. Also complete the UWSA's but keep in mind they underpredict even lower than the NBMES for Step 3(for Step 2 CK, UWSA's were more predictable than NBMES). UWSA's also don't take CCS into their consideration of your score. I have seen students with scores less than 10-20 points below their UWSA pass the Step 3 exam but the key was they had a high performance on CCS

For CCS, I used both Uworld CCS cases (practice and interactive) as well as CCScases.com towards the end(just to see how I was performing). I think the bulk of your time should be spent on Uworld CCS cases. At the same time I found CCScases.com to be beneficial as well as it gave me a score and showed me how I was performing. Sometimes I scored an 80% on a case. Sometimes I would get a 50% on a case. I would keep repeating the case until I score a 70% or higher. I didn't focus on the explanations for CCScases.com but instead focused on what workups were marked as red, meaning which orders did I forget. As someone once said, CCS is all about knowing the common workups and regurgitating it on the exam.

You will do just fine. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Not sure if I can recommend a prep course besides what I already recommended above. But onlinemeded has free videos that cover Step 2ck/Step 3/Residency content. I think they will provide more value to you than paying for any prep course with powerpoint slides summarizing the same material as uworld explanations. The problem with prep courses are they will provide the same material that you have access to at home, however the bulk of their prep will involve you doing questions, something that you can also complete at home. Now if you are someone that needs a structured environment, then I guess a prep course can be beneficial. But why waste $