step 3 question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

y2janitor

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried looking everywhere but couldn't find an answer to this. I'm doing my TY year in Ohio and then moving to NY for my PGY2 spot. Does it matter where I register for step 3? Should I do Ohio or NY? Also, NY's requirements are different, and require an application for liscensure to be completed before registering for step 3. Can I even register for NY liscensure while living in ohio?

Members don't see this ad.

Just register for it in California. It doesn't matter where you register for it or take it, and Cali has no clinical medicine requirement. I'm a new TY in IL and registered in Cali and had my scheduling permit in a week. Just took the beast last week.

You can register in Connecticut and then take it in any state and pay nothing more than the $700 for the test registration. In some states if you register (i.e. NY) you have to pay additional licencing fee. I did a prelim year last year and am taking step 3 this year and knew about 20 residents who took step 3 in various states while just about all of them registered in Connecticut.

You can register in Connecticut and then take it in any state and pay nothing more than the $700 for the test registration. In some states if you register (i.e. NY) you have to pay additional licencing fee. I did a prelim year last year and am taking step 3 this year and knew about 20 residents who took step 3 in various states while just about all of them registered in Connecticut.

PA, too. Last May, many of the states changed their requirements for licensure, seemingly making it easier than it had been before. The easiest way to answer the OP's query is to check the contact information for the state board under whose aegis you are interested in applying, at the FSMB site, and contact them directly.

Good luck!

Nu

Members don't see this ad :)
so this might sound ******ed... i am a prelim aka PGY1, was planning to take the step 3 end of spetember, and went to NBME.org and tried to register via the NLES (the same place i registerred for step 1 and 2),

Seems like we cant do that. We have to register via FSMB?

Just to make sure i am not making any mistake, is that correct?

secondly, i read that they give u the eligibility period...i wann take the exam end of spetember...do u think its possible for me to register now, and take the exam end of sept, or will the bureacracy involved make it impossible (i cannot take it oct, nov or dec as i have wards during those months...)

appreciate any advice

thx

so this might sound ******ed... i am a prelim aka PGY1, was planning to take the step 3 end of spetember, and went to NBME.org and tried to register via the NLES (the same place i registerred for step 1 and 2),

Seems like we cant do that. We have to register via FSMB?

Just to make sure i am not making any mistake, is that correct?

secondly, i read that they give u the eligibility period...i wann take the exam end of spetember...do u think its possible for me to register now, and take the exam end of sept, or will the bureacracy involved make it impossible (i cannot take it oct, nov or dec as i have wards during those months...)

appreciate any advice

thx

You're right. You have to register via FSMB... http://www.fsmb.org/m_usmlestep3.html

I would check out the site, but I think if you register immediately you'd be able to get your stuff in about a week and then be eligible. I suppose then it would come down to scheduling your time at your nearby Prometric test site.