Step 3 registration: which state? (IMG)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaraBovis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
IMG. ECFMG certified. Not into any residency. It looks like some states require you to be in a residency program before you can take Step 3 (?)

Which states/state can I safely register from? I wish to take the exam in New York. I guess I can register from another state and take the exam in New York (?)

Also, is there any specific time period during which you can apply? Is Step 3 conducted year round, like the other steps? I want to take it next month (mid-Jan 2012). Is it possible?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most IMGs register in Connecticut as they don't have any requirements regarding post-graduate training etc. You can certainly register in Connecticut and take the exam in NY (or any other state of your liking).

The only time you CAN NOT apply is a 2 week period in September, rest of the year is open to you. The exam is administered throughout the year (though not the 2 first weeks of January). If you haven't registered for the exam yet, I doubt you'll be able to take it in January - it takes at least 1-2 weeks for the FSMB to process your application, and with the holidays coming soon, my guess is that they won't process it until after X-mas. And by then the remainder of the open dates in January will likely be full (especially in the NY area).

But you could be lucky, so why not just go for it and hope for the best...

Good luck

Well explained. Thanks a lot. Does where you register from have implications in terms of where you can practice later?

In short, no. Step 3 and the medical license is 2 completely different things. You can register for step 3 in one state, sit for the exam in another state, and get your medical license and practice in a third state.