Step 3 registration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated and I am therefore about to register for step 3. Some questions:

1) Just to double check, if I'm in Cali for residency, is there any requirement that I register for step 3 in Cali?

2) What states can I register in that will allow me to take Step 3 without beginning Intern year?

3) What is a reasonable amount of time to prepare for Step 3 if I'm studying full time after finishing medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated and I am therefore about to register for step 3. Some questions:

1) Just to double check, if I'm in Cali for residency, is there any requirement that I register for step 3 in Cali?

2) What states can I register in that will allow me to take Step 3 without beginning Intern year?

3) What is a reasonable amount of time to prepare for Step 3 if I'm studying full time after finishing medical school?

1) No.

2) http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_requirementschart.html

3) If you are taking it before spending any reasonable amount of time as an intern? I would say....2-4 weeks? It's hard to say for sure. I feel like it was a very easy test, but I took it after a full intern year, so a lot of the questions were second nature by then. It also depends on what rotations (if any) you will be doing prior to graduation.

1) No.

2) http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_requirementschart.html

3) If you are taking it before spending any reasonable amount of time as an intern? I would say....2-4 weeks? It's hard to say for sure. I feel like it was a very easy test, but I took it after a full intern year, so a lot of the questions were second nature by then. It also depends on what rotations (if any) you will be doing prior to graduation.

Thank you. I'm going into Peds, so I figure I might as well take it now since my knowledge base isn't getting any better. Its basically an Internal Medicine Test, right?

Thank you. I'm going into Peds, so I figure I might as well take it now since my knowledge base isn't getting any better. Its basically an Internal Medicine Test, right?

I'd say it's really more of an EM/FM test. There's a bit of peds, a bit of OB, a bit of GYN, a little bit of outpatient surgery, and some of the clinical cases can be surgical/trauma in nature. Even someone who does an IM year would still need to study for the peds and women's health parts.