Step 3 result before applying for match !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docontherocks32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an IMG who graduated in June 2012. In the intervening time , I have cleared my Step 1, CK (247 each) and CS, did 2 months of observerships and worked at a place in home country in research for 2 months. I have done a few months of research during medical school including research electives at Hopkins. I am planning to take Step 3 before applying on Sep 15.

My query is that how much difference does it make to have the result before Sep 15 vs. having a result on Sep 24th, a week after I apply to programs?

Will I have a chance of being considered by some more programs if I already have my Step 3 score before applying. or could I add my Step 3 score after applying? Will the latter benefit me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am an IMG who graduated in June 2012. In the intervening time , I have cleared my Step 1, CK (247 each) and CS, did 2 months of observerships and worked at a place in home country in research for 2 months. I have done a few months of research during medical school including research electives at Hopkins. I am planning to take Step 3 before applying on Sep 15.

My query is that how much difference does it make to have the result before Sep 15 vs. having a result on Sep 24th, a week after I apply to programs?

Will I have a chance of being considered by some more programs if I already have my Step 3 score before applying. or could I add my Step 3 score after applying? Will the latter benefit me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Won't matter in the least. Taking Step 3 will get it out of the way, but you will have your ECFMG certification regardless of whether you take Step 3 and most programs don't give a rats left buttcheek about your Step 3 score.

Reactions: 1 user
Won't matter in the least. Taking Step 3 will get it out of the way, but you will have your ECFMG certification regardless of whether you take Step 3 and most programs don't give a rats left buttcheek about your Step 3 score.
Thank you for your kind reply.

I have probably phrased my initial question wrong. Rather than the scores, I meant will having a 'Step 3 passed' on the application while applying make much difference vs passing it a week after applying? Some programs give the benefit of already passing Step 3, especially to IMG's. I am wondering if I'll lose out on some programs because of getting the result after applying on Sep 15.

I have a date for 31st Aug and 3rd Sep for Step 3 at a place where I have a friend living 0.5 miles from the testing center. I can either go ahead with this schedule or try to book an earlier date at another center. Losing out on about 2 weeks of prep is another issue if I bring forward the date to get the result on time.

Thank you for your kind reply.

I have probably phrased my initial question wrong. Rather than the scores, I meant will having a 'Step 3 passed' on the application while applying make much difference vs passing it a week after applying? Some programs give the benefit of already passing Step 3, especially to IMG's. I am wondering if I'll lose out on some programs because of getting the result after applying on Sep 15.

I have a date for 31st Aug and 3rd Sep for Step 3 at a place where I have a friend living 0.5 miles from the testing center. I can either go ahead with this schedule or try to book an earlier date at another center. Losing out on about 2 weeks of prep is another issue if I bring forward the date to get the result on time.
I've never heard that - after all, none of the AMGs will have passed Step 3 (which is widely considered the easiest of the Steps), so I'm not sure applying with it makes a difference. Even if it did, the programs will get your score less than 2 weeks later which is fine.

It only matters if you need an H visa, for which you will need a Step 3 score. Programs that offer H's may decide to screen applications without a Step 3 result.

Whether a 2 week delay or not will make any difference is not clear. I expect not.

It only matters if you need an H visa, for which you will need a Step 3 score. Programs that offer H's may decide to screen applications without a Step 3 result.

Whether a 2 week delay or not will make any difference is not clear. I expect not.
Thanks - I hadn't thought about that issue.

Thank you for the kind replies. I would like to be eligible for an H1 visa to help broaden the scope of my application. I will see my progress over the next three weeks and if okay, I will try to book an earlier date at some other location.