Step 3 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

does step 3 score matter for peds fellowships competitive matches (cards, ED.. etc)?

I am taking it in few weeks and I feel I can pass but I really don't think I will do "good" in it.. is it only pass/fail test for fellowships programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

does step 3 score matter for peds fellowships competitive matches (cards, ED.. etc)?

I am taking it in few weeks and I feel I can pass but I really don't think I will do "good" in it.. is it only pass/fail test for fellowships programs?
I would say generally, yes. Step 3 has a numeric score, same as all other Step exams. Consistency is probably most important, but if you got 240s on the previous Steps and then on Step 3 you got a 190, that will not prevent you from getting an interview, but it may impact your overall ranking. Not dramatically so, but I will say, in ERAS, there is a composite score that we use as a guideline to rank candidates prior to the Match. The composite score is an aggregate of many things including interview numeric rank, letter of rec score and Step/COMLEX scores. Thus, good board score positively impact the composite score and thus help ones ranking, while poor board score negatively impact the composite score and rank. Of course, this composite score is mostly the starting point for the rank, and a positive or negative interview impression can move an applicant up or down from their initial spot.

Last edited: