Step 3 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDeal93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Step 3 score important for GI fellowship? Asking because I had a pretty substantial drop on Step 3.
Step 1: 231
Step 2: 244
Step 3: 215

FWIW I'm a US MD. I've never really known whether PD's take Step 3 into considerable account so just wanted to ask if a drop like this would hurt. I noticed in the Charting the Outcomes from 2018 that the average Step 3 score for matched USMDs was 235 which I thought was pretty high..

Members don't see this ad.

Is Step 3 score important for GI fellowship? Asking because I had a pretty substantial drop on Step 3.

FWIW I'm a US MD. I've never really known whether PD's take Step 3 into considerable account so just wanted to ask if a drop like this would hurt. I noticed in the Charting the Outcomes from 2018 that the average Step 3 score for matched USMDs was 235 which I thought was pretty high..
These are pretty solid scores. It’s common to have a drop in step 3. You take it when you’re potentially working 80 hours a week. I am not a PD so I cannot say for sure, but I had very similar scores and had 0 issue matching to a very good program. I ended up at my third choice. I think that other factors weigh much more (research, residency institution, and letters) and that your test scores just speak to your test taking skills/ ability to pass ABIM boards/ GI boards. You were not near failing for any of these and so I would not see this as a red flag.

You’ll be fine. You may get screened out at like 5% of places that arbitrarily cut off at 220s per Step, but those places aren’t amazing/desirable places either. I think Albany as an example posts that they want to see 220+ across the board. The average Step 3 score itself is 228.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
These are pretty solid scores. It’s common to have a drop in step 3. You take it when you’re potentially working 80 hours a week. I am not a PD so I cannot say for sure, but I had very similar scores and had 0 issue matching to a very good program. I ended up at my third choice. I think that other factors weigh much more (research, residency institution, and letters) and that your test scores just speak to your test taking skills/ ability to pass ABIM boards/ GI boards. You were not near failing for any of these and so I would not see this as a red flag.
agree with all comments, except that those aren't 'solid' scores. they are merely ok. I just think we should use proper terminology on this forum so people dont get an inflated sense of their scores or their chances in general. i agree, the drop in step 3 is not that concerning.

Reactions: 1 user
You’ll be fine. You may get screened out at like 5% of places that arbitrarily cut off at 220s per Step, but those places aren’t amazing/desirable places either. I think Albany as an example posts that they want to see 220+ across the board. The average Step 3 score itself is 228.
Albany PD (very nice guy) was asked about this on the website. States 220 is a pretty standard cutoff for step 3 at a lot of Uni-based programs. However, I am sure programs have a lot of different ways to set cutoffs from Step 1, Step 2CK, # of research experiences, etc. Just apply very broadly just in case.

Reactions: 1 user