Step 3 score

Started by TheDeal93
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheDeal93

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is Step 3 score important for GI fellowship? Asking because I had a pretty substantial drop on Step 3.
Step 1: 231
Step 2: 244
Step 3: 215

FWIW I'm a US MD. I've never really known whether PD's take Step 3 into considerable account so just wanted to ask if a drop like this would hurt. I noticed in the Charting the Outcomes from 2018 that the average Step 3 score for matched USMDs was 235 which I thought was pretty high..
 
Is Step 3 score important for GI fellowship? Asking because I had a pretty substantial drop on Step 3.
Step 1: 231
Step 2: 244
Step 3: 215

FWIW I'm a US MD. I've never really known whether PD's take Step 3 into considerable account so just wanted to ask if a drop like this would hurt. I noticed in the Charting the Outcomes from 2018 that the average Step 3 score for matched USMDs was 235 which I thought was pretty high..
These are pretty solid scores. It’s common to have a drop in step 3. You take it when you’re potentially working 80 hours a week. I am not a PD so I cannot say for sure, but I had very similar scores and had 0 issue matching to a very good program. I ended up at my third choice. I think that other factors weigh much more (research, residency institution, and letters) and that your test scores just speak to your test taking skills/ ability to pass ABIM boards/ GI boards. You were not near failing for any of these and so I would not see this as a red flag.
 
Is Step 3 score important for GI fellowship? Asking because I had a pretty substantial drop on Step 3.
Step 1: 231
Step 2: 244
Step 3: 215

FWIW I'm a US MD. I've never really known whether PD's take Step 3 into considerable account so just wanted to ask if a drop like this would hurt. I noticed in the Charting the Outcomes from 2018 that the average Step 3 score for matched USMDs was 235 which I thought was pretty high..
You’ll be fine. You may get screened out at like 5% of places that arbitrarily cut off at 220s per Step, but those places aren’t amazing/desirable places either. I think Albany as an example posts that they want to see 220+ across the board. The average Step 3 score itself is 228.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These are pretty solid scores. It’s common to have a drop in step 3. You take it when you’re potentially working 80 hours a week. I am not a PD so I cannot say for sure, but I had very similar scores and had 0 issue matching to a very good program. I ended up at my third choice. I think that other factors weigh much more (research, residency institution, and letters) and that your test scores just speak to your test taking skills/ ability to pass ABIM boards/ GI boards. You were not near failing for any of these and so I would not see this as a red flag.
agree with all comments, except that those aren't 'solid' scores. they are merely ok. I just think we should use proper terminology on this forum so people dont get an inflated sense of their scores or their chances in general. i agree, the drop in step 3 is not that concerning.
 
You’ll be fine. You may get screened out at like 5% of places that arbitrarily cut off at 220s per Step, but those places aren’t amazing/desirable places either. I think Albany as an example posts that they want to see 220+ across the board. The average Step 3 score itself is 228.
Albany PD (very nice guy) was asked about this on the website. States 220 is a pretty standard cutoff for step 3 at a lot of Uni-based programs. However, I am sure programs have a lot of different ways to set cutoffs from Step 1, Step 2CK, # of research experiences, etc. Just apply very broadly just in case.