Step 3 Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilovewater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since Step 3 is changing in Nov, and there will be no exams administered during Sept, I really want to take Step 3 by the end of Sept. Another reason I want to take it early is because scores for new Step 3 will not come out until April at the earliest. I am scheduled for hard rotations (MICU and NF) from now until the beginning of October. I'm worried that I won't have enough time to study since I would only have 2-3 solid hours to study every day. Has anyone taken Step 3 while on hard rotations with minimal studying?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people I know have taken step 3 under those conditions. My friends who have gotten 230s-240s range on step 1 with hard studying, got 210s-2-teens on step 3 with minimal studying. If you're a 260+ step 1 person, I say you are a natural test taker and it won't matter much, just familiarize yourself with the CCS software. If you want to get a 225+ on Step 3 and are NOT a "doesn't matter if I study" person, I would put some effort into it - like try and get through most of the Q-bank. I think it just depends on what you're comfortable with. Nobody else can really tell you what to do, since only you know what type of test taker you are...