Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubensan

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do most people take Step 3 during their intern year? I take Step 2 in a few hours and don't want to wait too long less I foreget about Von-Hippel-Lindau disease or the peds developmental milestones. I was thinking of taking it very soon after I start internship year. I am assuming that it is helpful to start ophthalmology residency with a license?

Members don't see this ad.

rubensan said:
When do most people take Step 3 during their intern year? I take Step 2 in a few hours and don't want to wait too long less I foreget about Von-Hippel-Lindau disease or the peds developmental milestones. I was thinking of taking it very soon after I start internship year. I am assuming that it is helpful to start ophthalmology residency with a license?

I took step 3 in March- the earliest anyone in my class took it was Jan. Most people wait until May or June but its best to get it over with as soon as possible. Some state boards require that you have 6 months of internship before taking it but you can get around that by applying through another state. You can apply through a different state than you're doing residency in.

March of your internship year or fourth year of medical school? Also, any advice on what materials to use for step 3?

Also, how easy is it to obtain licenses in multiple states. My medical school/home state, my transitional year, and my Ophtho residency are in different states. Should we apply for all of the licenses at once, or apply whenever we need them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Ruben,

I'd suggest having a few ward months behind your belt before taking Step 3. Personally, I read Crush Step 3, did about 50% of NMS for Step 3 and passed it just fine (total studying time approx. 3 weeks 1-2 hrs/day).

I thought Step 3 was a bit different from Step 2, much more clinically oriented.

rubensan said:

eyedr said:
March of your internship year or fourth year of medical school? Also, any advice on what materials to use for step 3?

Also, how easy is it to obtain licenses in multiple states. My medical school/home state, my transitional year, and my Ophtho residency are in different states. Should we apply for all of the licenses at once, or apply whenever we need them?

Took it March of internship year. Apply for medical licenses as you need them. Your transitional program will send you the info- it's a limited educational license the first year. Before your ophtho residency, they will get you the paperwork for the next license.

I used Crush Step 3, did all the NMS questions and all the Kaplan Qbank questions- it might have been overkill. USMLEworld.com also has multiple choice questions that I've heard are good and half the price of kaplan.

Thanks for the clarification!

What is the earliest time some one can take step 3. I know this is state dependent but I am willing to apply from another state just to get it out of the way. thanks guys