Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saucysocks

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have to have completed intern year before you can take Step 3?

THanks!

Members don't see this ad.

saucysocks said:

THanks!

nope. this has been discussed ad nauseum on this board. just do a search.

you can take it as soon as you graduate with an MD/DO. You just have to register online through a state that doesn't require any intern year for sitting for step 3.

for instance, I'm in the midwest. I registered through connecticut (sponsoring board) and got my permit and am taking step 3 next week. I'm one month into intern year.

that simple.

don't know if I'll pass, but it was simple to register.

just go to Federation of State Medical Boards website and it details it.

later

do you have to have your diploma in hand to take it....that is...can i take it at the end of fourth year?

saucysocks said:

THanks!

Hi there,
Go to the website for USMLE Step III and follow the links that apply to the state that you wish to be licensed in. Taking Step III varies from state to state and is tied to obtaining a permanent medical license.

njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
emtji said:
do you have to have your diploma in hand to take it....that is...can i take it at the end of fourth year?

yes, you have to have diploma in hand to even apply.

step 3 is NOT tied to licensure in many many states (such as connecticut). You can physically sit for step 3 anywhere, but some states require you to apply for a license at the time of step 3 etc...

just register under a state that doesn't require it.

got the FSMB READ READ ALL THEY SAY!!