Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice
I'm starting ophtho next july, I'm planning on taking step 3 this month. How important is the score for the future (fellowships, etc). ??
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's not important as long as you pass.

Some fellowships will ask for you scores, so it can potentially make a difference.

Dave

Members don't see this ad :)
Some fellowships will ask for you scores, so it can potentially make a difference.

Dave

While some fellowships do ask for scores, I have never heard of them making any difference in any discussions with those doing the selection of the fellows. I suppose if you had an egregiously low score it might matter, but your residency performance and letters/who you know are infinitely more important.

I agree. However, if you're going to an extra competitive field, do you want to risk losing that as a tie-breaker? I wouldn't. It's just like everything else on an application; even if it's not discussed directly, it can still knock you down just that tiny half-peg, and that might be all it takes.

Dave

No argument there I suppose. In any case, especially if you're taking it so soon after internship, it should be easy. Just take things seriously and study (you don't have to kill yourself) and you'll be fine. 99% chance your score never matters, but people in this profession tend to be a little anal so I guess it couldn't hurt to try to do well.

thanks
I want to finish with this test ASAP, so I can start reading some ophtho before starting residnecy