step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myostatin

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know if cardiology programs look at step 3 results? With the competition, I can't imagine why they wouldn't... one more thing to weed people out?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know if cardiology programs look at step 3 results? With the competition, I can't imagine why they wouldn't... one more thing to weed people out?
I hadn't taken Step 3 when I applied and I contacted programs about it and they told me it didn't matter.

I also did not have problems getting interviews despite not taking step 3. What program directors did tell me is that to some extent they do see how well you've done in step 1 and 2. The board scores don't ncessarily make or brake your application unless you have failed in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
If a candidate has step III results, we will consider them.

I had always assumed programs would want Step 3 completed before the match. I scored in the mid-230s on Steps 1 and 2. Should I try to take Step 3 this fall before applying, or would it be better to wait? That is to say, is it more likely to be detrimental if I take it and score lower, since programs don't really care to see it anyway?