Step I - Journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpfulstranger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to use this as an opportunity to state what I have done so far, and assess my plan going forward. Psychologically, I know I will be more likely to stick to my plan if I write it down--even more if I announce it to the world. I hope you all won't mind indulging me. If you have any feedback, positive or negative, it would be much appreciated.

Background:

I am an American at a foreign medical school. Typically, I perform in the top 10% of the class on quizzes and NBME customized shelf exams and I have earned honors in every organ system so far. (The latter probably doesn't say too much coming from my school.) I'm a decent test taker (2260 SAT and 33R MCAT) and depite the stress, the rigors and the monotony, I still love learning.

At the expense of time efficiency, I often prefer gaining a solid, organized understanding of the etiology, pathophysiology and clinical presentation of disease rather than memorizing mnemonics and isolated facts. For this reason, I have been somewhat critical of First Aid lately. Nevertheless, I realize it is important to fill the short and medium term memory with key associations.

Other than bi-weekly sessions to review microbiology with a friend, I have not dedicated too much time preparing specifically for Step I. (My friend and I recently finished reviewing all the bacteria and viruses listed in FA; fungi and parasites remain.)

Strong points - immunology, micro, pathology, physiology, biochem/mol bio
Weak points - embryology, anatomy, general and specific pharmacology, biostatistics

I took NBME Form 3 just to see where I stand and I scored a 520 which they say is equivalent to a 226.

I am aiming for above a 250 on the real deal.

My plan:

I have used Robbins and other textbooks to fill in FA. And I have been doing Webpath and World questions all along the way. I don't use Goljan and I recently purchased USMLE Step I secrets.

I have 5 weeks to study for the real deal and I plan to dedicate 10-12 hours a day. I want to use one day a week for practice tests. I am modeling my study plan more or less after what Armin Kamyab recommended in "How to Study for the USMLE."
During the first weeks, my plan is to do randomized world question blocks in the morning and to review two or three specific subjects in the afternoon. At night, I will do a specific subject block of questions (i.e. biochem questions) unrelated to any subject reviewed that day.
In the last few weeks, I will do randomized question blocks or an NBME CBSSA practice exam in the morning and afternoon and I will review only one or two subjects in the evening. That is, my question to pure review ratio will increase as I get closer to test day.
I hope to be able to set aside some time for exercise each day during the 5 weeks, and I will keep eating healthy during my prep time. I am also going to isolate myself more or less from my classmates, as the majority have a tendency to stress me out.

I will keep updating this as I have more data! I hope it doesn't put everyone to :sleep:

Thanks,

HS

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well. Here is an update on my progress

School NBME - 260 - (6 weeks out)
NBME 6 - 235 (5 weeks)
UWSA1 - 262 (4 weeks)
NBME 7 - 247 (3.5 weeks)
NBME 11 - 250 (3 weeks)
Practice 150 - 93% (2 weeks)

I feel like the questions I get wrong are more often than not out of carelessness rather than lack of knowledge, which is kind of distressing because (as you know) most medical errors are made out of carelessness/laziness rather than lack of knowledge. I have been making a conscious effort to focus on reading the question and the answer choices more carefully. Time is almost never an issue for me (it doesn't really seem to be an issue for most of you, either.)

As a side note, does anyone have any tips on how to improve mental stamina on exam day?? I feel a bit mentally fatigued by the end of the test. I noticed a sublingual B12 seems to help. Any advice on specifically what to eat for breakfast? lunch? Or should I just snack throughout the day?

Any advice welcome.

All the best to you and yours,

HS

Trust me, on test day you won't have any trouble with stamina. Although you've taken practice tests, nothing can simulate that fire you'll have lit under your ass, that will keep you feverishly pushing on. I'm a fairly slow test taker, and tend to get bored and mentally wander during timed blocks and NBME simulations; I had no problem staying on task on the real thing. You'll be aware that you're tired, yes, but beyond that fleeting thought actual fatigue will be very much suppressed.

As far as food, there was a pretty good discussion here. I'd suggest eating a mixture of complex carbs and protein in the morning and around the halfway point of your test. Opinions on caffeine seem to be a mixed bag. I chugged a Rockstar with 6 hours to go and did fine. Your urethral sphincter will be clenched tighter than a convict's *******, so don't worry about that. Do be careful with your time allocation for the lunch break, however (I've outlined my experience in that thread).

There was also a recent discussion on avoiding eye strain on test day here. I'd strongly suggest resting your eyes between blocks, even if for a minute. It's great to reset your mind, also.

Good luck.

A week to go and I am feeling the heat! These 12 hour study days are nothing new, but I am starting to get some cabin fever. I can't wait for the freedom I'll feel when this is all over. But for now I must keep pushing!

In brief,

NBME 12 - 252
NBME 13 - 257
UWSA - 265 (19 wrong)

I am still not feeling super comfortable but I have identified some problem areas and I will do my best to remedy them in the days that come.

AndyRSC, thanks for the advice. I think I will go with the continuous calorie method. Nuts, fruits, dark chocolate in the morning. Maybe a lentil soup and wheat bread for lunch and then perhaps another snack before the final two sections. I will update here after the test. Shout out to my mom and my girlfriend.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're gonna be great! Keep that confidence you have in yourself and just remember that you can handle it. You have done thousands of questions before and this is nothing compared to that. Also, this is just one hoop of fire you have to jump through. we are in no way numbers, and the number we get on this test does not define us. It is your hard work and diligence that will define you, so just remember to keep a clean focused mind and you're gonna be great no matter how much stuff they throw at you on that exam!

Lol sorry but when I saw the title I expected this:

"Day 1. Dear diary, today I studied.
Day 2. Dear diary, today I studied more.
Day 3, Today I went wild and studied in a different spot.
Day 40, All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

Best of luck. Sounds like you will do great :)